New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

Insurance cost? whats the norm?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 08:53 AM
Default Insurance cost? whats the norm?

HI.....Im just wondering what folks are typically paying for a yearly premium on a later model camry?
I know there variables...but heres our situation....we are in our 40's....no dui's,....no accident, or tickets.....we have good credit (740).....but were paying what I believe is too much for a 07 car and our situation...full coverage,..it is state farm and I believe they are a good company..but I think 833.00 a year is a lil steep....Am I wrong here folks?...and were in rural Pa. I believe insurance changes from state to state....Any input would be great!....do not really want to leave state farm...but the bottom line is important in these economic times...Thanks in advance!....

Old 03-31-2011, 11:28 PM
Super Moderator

Here is my 2 cents.

First might ask at the Toyotanation website, more members, etc. Ask in the Camry section of your year of car. You may find a few members in your area responding. Keep in mind many members are in their 20's and will be paying a lot more then you.

I am not an insurance expect.

How many miles do you drive per year, what type of driving?

Have you gone over your premium in detail, each item coverage and what it costs? You can do this with your agent, that's what they are their for.

Car insurance appears to be a strange game. I have known individuals incurring very large!! premium increase when they moved a mile from the old address to a new address within the same large city. The new address was not a slum, but middle class. I thought red zoning had been prohibited.

Others received a letter from their insurance company stating their insurance company had computed their own credit rating and based on this the insurers premium was going to greatly increase. Nothing had changed for these insured, same job, same house, same debt load, nothing changed.

It is almost as if insurance companies target certain populations to drop them by increasing their premium to a point where the insurer drops coverage for another company. Perhaps a back door red lining, don't know.

Yet another insurance company welcomes these same folks with premiums that are much more reasonable.

I thought organizations like Consumer Reports state to shop around and compare. It is no longer needed to wait until your insurance is going to expire to switch.

I suggest you get quotes from every major company in your area, then compare.

Although I have not see your premium details $833 does not seem out of line, at least for this area. Many folks are paying almost this much every 6 months and drive beater cars, no tickets, no DUI's, good credit, etc.

Shop around, get quotes.

Another thing I suggest is to make sure the liability coverage is high enough it covers your assets and more. High insurance payouts are still not common but they do happen. If you get sued as a result of an accident you want your insurance company to be hang around for the full course of the lawsuit. Not payout whatever the coverage amount was (if too low) then drop you. Forget the car, its cost is known if totaled, the issue is liability claims, lawyer fee's, etc.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:43 AM

thanks for resppnding......we dont put on alot of mile...id say 12 to 15k a year MAX. basically a work car, a small vacation here and there..but way under the norm....Im in the car business I see alot more miles on trades coming in than we ever put on a car. Good info...about the liability..Ill check that. Basically my agent told me its the car....if I drove a 07 chevy impala.....it would be 200 a year cheaper. They say the toys are just more money to fix when involved in a accident.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

You can look at your insurance premium form and find the cost for comprehensive insurance. Increasing the deductible to say $1k can lower premiums.

In your area if road rocks routinely damage windshields take note doing so may now shift this replacement cost onto you due the higher deductible.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:20 AM

lol yeah already tried that trick...lol...I called them yesterday, got it direct deposited, and they checked the mileage we put on ....between those two things...we saved 64.00 a year....not huge...but I'll take it. You have to stay on these agents....they just dont call you and do that to help you....thanks