New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

New to the forums

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 12:24 AM
Default New to the forums

Hey everyone, I am the owner of a 2004 Toyota Camry XLE that is currently sitting right around 125,000 miles. Over the past 3 years, I've started doing more and more upkeep and repairs on my own. Since October of 2013, I have saved roughly $1500 from doing things ranging from oil changes to brake pads, spark plugs to thermostats and several different gaskets, on my own. That's primarily why I joined this forum, to hear about others' experiences with DIY maintenance/repair as well as possibly learn how to do other things on my own and even help others that are trying to do things on their own. Looking forward to learning even more!

Old 07-25-2015, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to CF.

A few suggestions for long trans life if not already done, is to completely change then transmission fluid.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:25 AM

Thanks for the tip. By "completely change," are you referring to a complete flush? Or more like a drain/fill type of thing? I've read a lot about flushes and I don't really like the sound of it. I was thinking about draining the old fluid, dropping the pan and changing the trans filter/gasket and refilling... And then maybe after a week or so of driving, repeating the process. Your thoughts?

Old 07-25-2015, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

Not a flush in terms of having a shop use a machine and chemicals might be used.

This process involves disconnecting the trans oil return hose from the radiator cooler that goes to the trans. The trans pan is drained and refilled with oil (doesn't need to be exact). Engine started and the old oil is pushed by the trans oil pump into a container at the end of hose. Once say 2 quarts comes out, the engine is stopped and trans refilled to repeat the process. After 7-10 quarts, the oil coming out will be clean. The trans is then topped off to the proper level.

This process doesn't use chemicals or external pressure.

You can do the drain and replace but in my experience the fluid never really becomes clean. If you are more comfortable with this method, use it.

The goal is to replace the old fluid with new. Worn out fluid is the No 1 cause of trans failure. No need to what a week, just starting the engine will mix new and old fluid. You are looking for the fluid to become the same color as what is in the bottle, or as close as possible using this method.

While your at it, you can replace the PS fluid. For this job, between drives, remove the old fluid from the reservoir with a suction device and replace with new. This works very well as the system is much simpler then the trans in terms of getting the old oil out.

Old 07-25-2015, 02:21 PM

I think we're on the same page. Honestly, it's just going to come down to having enough time. I'm a full-time graduate student so I sneak the maintenance in whenever I can... and whenever it's not blistering hot outside since my garage is the top of my driveway. I will keep that method in mind, although I was planning on replacing my valve cover gasket first. It's starting to get pretty nasty...

Old 07-25-2015, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

If your a time pressed and assume poor graduate student, just start changing the trans fluid on regular basis. Forget dropping the pan.