New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

New JAFO

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 07:49 PM
Question New JAFO

Hello all - it may be late - but I bought a 2014.5 Camry SE on Monday....I was trying to keep it as inexpensive as possible, so this one is Stock.....Straight SE with the Power Drivers seat - nothing else....

I like the car - so far in the 2 days and 50 miles I have driven it.. no complaints

Did I do a good thing?

I priced it out and haggled and got the financing and payment I wanted....

Soooo what SHOULD I have known BEFORE this purchase?

Now that I have it - What can I expect?

I am being deliberately vague, because I don't want to sway your answers.....

tell me - good thing? Why?

What can I expect?

Thanks all.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator

Tough to state when:

Don't know what you will pay in total?

APR interest rate?

Contract or car extras and options the dealer managed to add such as various types of insurance, undercoating, etc?

Monthly payment and number of months?

Typically it best to get the total price of the car with all extras worked out before going onto monthly payment issues. Dealers are very good at getting you the payment you want, but load up the contract with extras to boost profits.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:41 AM

Okay - its not really about the deal - but about the car -

Because you asked - Window sticker was 2014.5 Camry SE with dealer options $25,792 It has

the driver's something package - gives me a power drivers seat with lumbar support

Dealer installed plastic bra thing for front of the car and the doors. (I told them that wasn't happening)

I got it OTD for $20,066 with nothing down - 72 months at 1.74% Pmt $323/mo

I'm not really worried about the deal - meh ...I think that went okay.

What I am more interested in is, after reading all the motortrends, consumer reports, car and driver, auto trader.... meh -

What are they NOT telling me? What do you know now that you wish you had known before purchase.

Anything that I should think about over time?

Any car care tips that I should consider that are specific to this car? Something that you hadn't thought of before.

Did you do something that you have always done with other cars that you should NOT do with this one.....

I mean, at the end of the day this is the most popular car in the US and they are everywhere. They are supposedly a good value.

Did I do a good thing with this purchase? Coming from Fords and Hondas - what are the quirks of this car - what do you need to watch for/avoid. What should you do that you didn't before. Any must have accessories (Rubber mats, Trunk tray's, nets whatever) Things that you find indispensable.....

Thanks for your kind patience and response

Old 02-12-2015, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

This generation of Camry started in 2012 thus still recent and building up miles.

A few complaints:

If you start to experience harsh shifting or a whine take it to the dealer as could be trans issues.

Low tire life perhaps due to using low rolling resistance tires to increase MPG.

Year 2012 had lots of complaints about rattles, and poor fit and finish. Perhaps Toyota worked these out.

You might buy a Haynes service manual (around $20) or find some kind of service info.

Any recalls will be sent to you. Like other car manufacturers Toyota issues Technical Service Bulletins (TSB) to dealers for recurring problems. This info is not provided to customers and the information only applied to a car if the owner complains about the specific problem covered by the TSB.

What this means if you have a problem common to a lot of other owners, there may already be a TSB on this for your specific car based on VIN. You can't just go into a dealer and demand a repair based on the TSB, but if the dealer dismisses you and states your problem is "normal" you have some ability to retort. Plus knowing what problems the issued TSB's cover you can get an understanding of what problems your car may have over time.

One good thing about TSB's is they may have extended warranty times for the repair to be done beyond that of the original warranty.

Also read any warranties for the car. Some emissions items have an extended warranty mandated by the EPA. Has happened an owner is told they need to pay for repairs for an emission problem that is covered by extended warranty. Dealers are in the business of making money after all.

So what is the dealer not telling you?

The Camry went through a few trials and tribulations starting in early 2000. Quality took a hit as Toyota pushed for being No 1 in sales. They managed to live off their past rep for quality for a long time until the reality of too many complaints stated making the news. Thus being No 1 in popularity doesn't mean all Camry years were created equal or of equal quality.

Toyota has been trying to come back for years but keeps stumbling over themselves. Again their issues making the news.

As to your car. The No 1 thing to do in making any vehicle last as long as possible is to change the fluids on a regular basis. Camry is no different.

Check your owners manual for engine oil type and change period. Use only synthetic oil of the recommended weight for your climate temps. If the engine has a 10K mile change interval, use a long life oil filter designed to last 10K. Filter manufacturers are now touting these types of filters.

The trans does not have a dip stick but uses a fill port much like rear differentials. The newly installed fluid needs to be heated up by operating the engine, the excess drained. The internet should have info on this. The drivers door should have a sticker with the trans model.

The trans fluid is also synthetic. The dealer has a color chart to compare the fluid with with. The more brown the worse the condition. The fluid is supposed to last around 100K miles but suggest replacing all of it at around 50K. Keep in mind most of the fluid is in the torque converter. You will need to take it to a shop or learn how to this yourself. Again check the internet.

Check brake fluid color. The blacker the more water it has absorbed. Most owners never change it without problem. Might flush the system when replacing the brake pads.

Change the coolant at the recommended interval in the owners manual. Use a coolant equivalent to what Toyota recommends as not all coolants are alike.

The car may have electric assist power steering, if not change the PS fluid when it becomes dark. Can draw out the fluid from the reservoir with large syringe and replace it. with new. Do this a between drives and fluid will be clear again.

If the car has clear coat, read up on how to wash it properly without scratching the clear coat. A mistake many owners make.

Otherwise the parts are replaced as required.

Old 02-12-2015, 03:46 PM

So toyomo - you asked about the deal - and I said that I wasn't that concerned.....

Now, I am curious.... I'm thinking that its not a crazy good deal, maybe not even a good deal - more like just a deal... what do you think?.....

Old 02-12-2015, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

You asked if you did good and my response was to inquire about the deal, as most people ask about this. Your deal was fine. Don't worry! Interest rates will being going up this year. As such I didn't comment on this.

Toyota Camry is still a very popular car in terms of sales. My comments will not change this.

What you really asked about was what the dealer didn't tell you and I responded. This is not stating Camry is junk, just Toyota had a few issues over the years. Honda's also had this but to a lesser degree and with less negative PR.

As to the maintenance issues, TSB's, recalls and dealer motives. All makes and models of cars and trucks have issues, service bulletins, recalls, etc. All can benefit by maintenance beyond what is stated in the manual. Most dealers tend to try to maximize profits. That's why most people would rather visit the dentist then buy a new car.

This stated, take care of the car and it should go well into the 200K miles.

Do suggest getting the Haynes manual and read up to understand the cars layout.

As to adding options. If it doesn't have fog lights, this is a popular add-on IF the bumper cover has the holes already that are filled by removable covers. Would not suggest anything like a cold air intake.

Enjoy your new car.

Last edited by toyomoho; 02-13-2015 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:49 AM

Awesome! You know - I didn't say thanks - so let me apologize and thank you for your kind response. It is and was truly appreciated!

All the best!

Old 02-13-2015, 05:51 AM

Oh and cold air intake....ummm yeah - it's a sedan, 1 each, family style.... I don't get it either......

Remote start, heated seats and dual zone heat and air..... that's different ... !