New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

New mbr in BC

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 12:24 PM
Default New mbr in BC

Hi everyone. I am joining on behalf of my father who has a 93 4 cyl auto with 235k on it. He is not much for forums but I know they are an excellent source of info sharing and advice on tech questions. My two initial concerns with his car is the fact that it has never had a trans fluid change nor a filter change to the best of his recollection. The post earlier in this forum is good and I just wanted to confirm there are no real issues with changing the filter and fluid on this car that I should know about before attempting it? Second, timing belt. Understand that it is a no interference engine but the same concern here. 235k. How involved is the replacement. I am used to BMWs and this is a major job for them.
Anyway, glad to be on the forum and look forward to following and contributing to it.

JB

Old 01-09-2010, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

235K without a trans fluid change is very high mileage! Toyota does not specify a mileage but a typical change might be 60k or 90K. Some owners change it every 30K.

Check the fluid condition. At this many miles it would be jet black and perhaps started to thicken up. Perhaps the previous owner had it changed.

If you change the fluid, suggest draining the trans pan then filling via the dipstick with an equal amount that drained out. Then repeat this process several times as the car is driven. This can help avoid perceived issues with flushing.

Toyota also does not specify a belt change interval, stating to inspect the belt. The belt manufacturers recommend changing at 60K miles for model years under 1999 and 90K afterwards. Belt design may have improved after 1999, allowing a longer change interval.

Check the upper timing belt plastic shield housing for a possible sticker giving a belt change. Shops sometimes place these to record when the belt was changed.

Changing the belt is straight forward but time consuming, more so if doing it for the first time (learning curve). Some of the bolts have tool access problems.

The alt and alt/engine mount need to be removed, then the upper timing belt cover. All belts need to be removed, then the harmonic balancer and lower cover. Once there parts are off the belt is exposed.

The crank bolt can be difficult to free up (a Google search will turn up suggestions here). If the balancer does not slide off by hand use a bolt-on puller (the front of the pulley has holes to bolt it on). The pulley is two piece, a jaw type puller may damage the pulley.

Suggest before starting to take the engine apart to first rotate the engine crank to the TDC mark with No 1 cylinder at compression stroke (cylinder closest to timing belt).

To install the belt, one cam pulley spoke has hole in it that must be aligned with a notch on the top of the cam bearing mount. The crank set at TDC. The water pump and oil pump pulleys can be set at any location. This is the same location that was set in the paragraph above.

At this many miles would also suggest you check for oil leakage at the cam, crank and oil pump shaft areas. All areas are known to leak. If you are up to it you can replace these seals. The oil pump shaft seal can start to wear out and leak, the result being a steady drip that looses a lot of oil.

Also suggest replacing the idler bearings and tension spring (get the spring at the Toyota dealer). Some owners would replace the water pump also at this time.

The Autozone website has all the info needed to replace the parts.

If you father is going to keep the car and you have the time. As suggested about think about changing the cam, crank and oil pump seals plus water pump. If you do everything now, you should never have to take the cover off until needed to replace the belt again.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:09 PM

Joey,

This is exactly the info I was looking for. All of this is in my skill envelope. I just need the time. Don't we all. Thanks for the info. I will post when I get started and post some pics too.

Appreciate the info and taking the time to share it with me.

Julian

Old 01-11-2010, 03:44 PM
Default New mbr in BC

Hi,

how can i create a new module.
for example, i would like to have a special copyright module, or to display a particular type of info from virtuemart database of products, and so on...
where can i found tutorial for such things or help ?

thanks a lot,

Alain
Here is a sample of a website I developed for quick cash