New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

new to Toyota and Camry

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 02:56 PM
Default new to Toyota and Camry

Hello, I just purchased (used of course) a 1994 Camry....I have enever owned a Toyota before in my entire life....I always been a Acura/Nissan/Infiniti/Chevy person myself.....so for me...this was a big step.

My folks however.....own nothing but Toyota...so I guess my dad is happy about this.

While this car I picked up...looks terrible, minor damage in the rear drivers quarter, some minor passenger damage on the front...I think those are easily fixable....paint however...different story...and being as I owned a detail shop for several years....I know what can and cant be saved...my interior...carpets be there...thats about all I can say for those....seats are comfy though!

No onto the good....I thought I was getting the 2.2 4 banger...turns out I got the V6...bonus!

and the Ac freezes me right out of it...SCORE!!! (its near nuclear temps in phoenix)...

and my cruise works....ahhh what a wonderful thing to have (never in my Acuras do I EVER seem to get those in working conditions...so this was a nice benefit to me.

all the windows work...bonus, no broken switches or anything...that a good thing

However...I do have a CEL on...I have not checked it yet (just bought the car a few hours ago)...but I have found the diagnostic port in the engine compartment....so now is that where I make the jumper pin to get it to flash? and is there a code listing somewhere on here that I can pull up?

So far, whatever it is....doesnt seem to be affecting much...my fuel seemed to be pretty good (I did a spirirted 60 mile test drive), I had good power (and even with the trans in Economy...I shot right up to 80mph...havent tested Power mode yet)

basically I got this car to get around due to my other 2....one got wrecked, the other...catastrophic engine failure (leave it to a domestic to crap out when its only needed once in awhile....my disgust of american built cars grows yet even more)

I have no plans really for it...clean, fix the damages, keep it simple, drive it....I am REALLY tired of wrenching on things all the time....so I am hoping for that famous Toyota reliability to stay with me for awhile.

thanks and any help, is always appreciated, especially as I venture off into a make I have never personally owned myself

Old 09-06-2010, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

Check under the dash for a ODBII plug. This Camry model having the V6 engine may have a hybrid OBDII system the preceded the ODBII system on current cars.

If so the system requires a code reader, and one that can function with the this hybrid system.

There have been other posts at this forum about this, suggest a history search of posts.

The AutoZone website has a lot of specific year and model vehicle repair info at the sites vehicle repair guide section.

If your looking for specific issues, repairs, problems with the year and model suggest you review posts at Toyotanation for the Generation 3 Camry, 1992-96.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:15 PM

thank yousir!

I was inquiring about the diag port since I seen mine on the motor there to passenger side....and then was also reading that some people had under the dash as well.

I am pretty used to OBII and such....and then my Legends were a mix as well....although the system was really implemented till 96 I think? but oddly enough, some Legends had r134a systems in them prior to the 96 yet some came with r12...hit or miss on those. Odd.

I am mostly concerned with getting the most fuel mileage possible (which so far it SEEMS to be doing really good, next week will tell the real story, when I really start driving it)

Old 09-07-2010, 01:29 AM

Hi! Welcome to the forum.Its great to see you here.have a pleasant stay.Enjoy!