New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

New used Camry owner!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 02:38 PM
Default New used Camry owner!

Hi!

I just received an 87 Camry as a gift, and absolutely LOVE it!!

But, it has a few small glitches I need help with. One of them is the rear driver side door doesn't open from the inside or out. You can feel that there a connection missing. So, I guess I'm going to need to remove the inside door panel, and make a re-connection. I need help with this.

The other thing, is the pump for the windshield washer? I can see where the fill is for the reservoir, and I filled it up. But, when I press the button on the end of the wiper control, I don't hear the pump motor, and it doesn't dispense andy of the washer fluid. I need help with this, too!

Next, we have a catalytic converter that needs to be replaced. It passed smog, but by a narrow margin. Where's the best place to get one at a reasonable price? I see them of eBay for $99 with $11 shipping. But, are they reliable? Is there a better place to look?

When we got the car, the trunk had been stuck closed for years, according to the prior owners. But, I was able to fiddle with it long enough to get it open (no bodies, just misc stuff for the Goodwill!!)!! YEAH!!! I'd already gotten a new replacement lock and keys, and once it was opened, I was able to replace the lock cylinder, reconnect the mechanism, and now it works like a dream!

Thank you in advance for your help with these things!
Susan1310

Old 04-09-2008, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: New used Camry owner!

The outside and inside handles have separate rods going to the dock lock mechanism, as such this might be the problem. The inside door panel can be removed to take look inside. In general it is held in place by retaining clips around the edges. Use a wide putty knife or equivalent to pry between the panel and doorframe and to pop them out. The inside door latch is held in place by a screw, look closely at to find it. If power windows pry out the control and disconnect the plug. If manual windows the crank is held in place by a clip. You may be able to see the clip by pushing the panel away from the handle. Once the panel is off there is a thin plastic water shield that can be peeled away. The washer pump is located under the frame where washer fluid tank filler tube is. The pump and wipers are on the same fuse. Not up on CAT’s for this model. What makes you think it is the CAT versus needing a tune up, etc?

Old 04-10-2008, 08:38 AM

Good Morning, ToyoMoho!

Thank you for your reply.

I can hear the mechanism from the inside, when I use the inside door release. It sounds (and feels) like something isn't making a connection, and is quite clear, in the upper left hand corner of the door, just below (and to the left) the lower left corner of the window (this being the driver side, back door). It is crank style windows. Do you happen to know how to release the crank, once I see the clip? I don't want to damage anything! :-)

I noticed several washer fluid tanks, including motor, on eBay. Maybe this is something that goes out on them. The price seems reasonable, so I'll likely just get one of them. I'm glad you mentioned that the wipers are on the same fuse, as they work fine.

When I took the car for a smog cert, the owner of the shop said the engine runs great, and that it's likely the cat. That's the only thing I have to go on.

Thank you SO much!
Susan1310

Old 04-10-2008, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

Greetings:

The door lock mechanism has separate steel rods running to both the inside and outside handle. They are pulled to unlock the door. Sometimes a plastic clip that attaches the rod to a part will break. If you remove the door panel you will see how the mechanism works.

The door handle has a hollow tang that slides over the door crank mechanism shaft. Both shaft and the inside of the handle tang have grooves that engage each other and allow the handle to turn the shaft. The shaft has a grove around its circumference. The handle tang has a grove around with slots that when installed on the crankshaft, allow exposure to the crankshaft grove.

A clip slides into the grove of the handle tang and held in place to allow both handle and clip to slide onto the shaft as a unit. Thus when the handle slide onto the crankshaft the clip will eventually engage the grove in the shaft and lock into the place. When installing the handle, a large plastic washer goes on the shaft first, then the handle slides onto the crankshaft and the clip engages the grove in the shaft. When the handle is installed the clip is now pushed inside the grove of the washer and thus cannot come out.

Suggest you just look at the area between the handle and door panel. Push back on the panel a little and you will see the washer. If you push the washer back against the panel you should see the clip. It looks like kind of like a “C” guessing 5/8 inch diameter.

Find something to push the clip out of the slot. Some manuals suggest using a towel. The edge of the towel is placed at the open end of the clip and slid back and forth while pulling up. This will wedge the towel edge between the washer and door handle then eventually push the clip out. To reinstall the clip, just push in onto the handle tang.

Have never replaced the pump washer but it looks like it just attaches to the fluid tank. Most like the side or bottom.

Did you have the car smogged and if so what were the emissions numbers, things like NOx, CO2, etc. They station typically give the owner a sheet with the results. The issue is there are a lot of things that can cause an engine to just barely pass the test.

CAT’s are sold almost everywhere including at online website. If you are looking for low cost mail order parts try www.rockauto.com. There are other sites also, some have free shipping for orders over $50.

One more thing, when removing the inside door handle look behind it. There may be one of those steel rods attached. If so you will need to remove the plastic clip to pull it off. The clip typically needs to be rotated to disengage it, then the rod is pulled out.

You might purchase a Haynes service manual for under $20. It covers 1983-1991 cars. It is not as good as a Toyota shop manual but covers most repairs. The washer motor is not in the book but handle removal is.