New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

Noise when press break, from front right side

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 12:10 AM
Default Noise when press break, from front right side

Hi,

03 Camry. Recently, found noise when press brake. The noise is from front right side. Firstly, the noise sounds like metal scratch, recently, the noise sounds like aircraft fly over.

The front (both sides) brake pad and was new replaced 2 years ago.

Any advise would be very appreciated.

Old 08-11-2019, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator

Could be the pads have worn down to the metal backing and the brake now has the pad backing metal grinding on the rotor metal.

Or the pad is worn enough that the worn pad mechanical indicator is engaged. This indicator is a metal tab that when the pad is worn enough. the indicator contacts the rotor and makes a screech as it rides on the rotor surface.

Old 08-11-2019, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Could be the pads have worn down to the metal backing and the brake now has the pad backing metal grinding on the rotor metal.

Or the pad is worn enough that the worn pad mechanical indicator is engaged. This indicator is a metal tab that when the pad is worn enough. the indicator contacts the rotor and makes a screech as it rides on the rotor surface.
Thank you very much.
The brakes work well now. Last time I replaced with both new front brake pads and rotors in Toyota dealer in 2017. After then the car has run another 25000 miles in two years. Is it under average mileage for a new Toyota break pad/rotors?

The noise seems like the airplane noise when there is airplane fly over, sounds like noise is from some plastic parts in front right side. But I cannot see any significant trace from outside.

May I ask, sould I replace new brake pad/rotors for both left and right sides at same time, is my understanding correct? Because there is not noise from left side. Thanks!

And, besides replace brakes pad/rotors, is there any problem for other parts, such as caliper?
Can any one give an estimate cost for worst situation? Because it is time to think if it is worth to repair the car to keep the car.

Any advice would be very appreciated!

Last edited by workwork; 08-11-2019 at 11:04 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

Are you capable of removing the tire on the front right side then inspecting the brake pads? You would be looking at the actual brake pad thickness (brake material that is not the metal backing plate) and then the surface of the rotor for damage. The rotor inspection in case the pad is now worn to the metal backing plate and this plate not grinding on the rotor surface..

What does "trace" mean?

Could be something else is loose such as brake pad clip.

25K seems low for pads.

If the rotor is not damaged then just replace the pads. Replace both sides as this is standard procedure and pads as sold in a set that contains both left and right side.

If the brakes are the issue. The worse case is also needing a replacement rotor on the noisy side if the pad has worn to the metal backing plate.

If you still have the receipt from Toyota for the brake job subtract the cost of one rotor from the price as only one rotor will be replaced not two.

Could be a wheal bearing but doubt it.

Old 08-15-2019, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Are you capable of removing the tire on the front right side then inspecting the brake pads? You would be looking at the actual brake pad thickness (brake material that is not the metal backing plate) and then the surface of the rotor for damage. The rotor inspection in case the pad is now worn to the metal backing plate and this plate not grinding on the rotor surface..

What does "trace" mean?

Could be something else is loose such as brake pad clip.

25K seems low for pads.

If the rotor is not damaged then just replace the pads. Replace both sides as this is standard procedure and pads as sold in a set that contains both left and right side.

If the brakes are the issue. The worse case is also needing a replacement rotor on the noisy side if the pad has worn to the metal backing plate.

If you still have the receipt from Toyota for the brake job subtract the cost of one rotor from the price as only one rotor will be replaced not two.

Could be a wheal bearing but doubt it.
Thanks for the explanation. Now I have new question, I called Toyota parts, they said my car was made in Japan, the roots was original made in Japan. I asked them do you have the parts which was made in North American, they said there are two kinds of American made rotors, but they are not sure which can match my car. It may need up to several months if order rotor from Japan. And, they told me that Toyota parts system has some problem for several weeks, they do not know when the system will be back to working.

So, let us make it simple question, if anyone has replaced with American made front brake rotor on Japan made Camry (2003)?

Any advice would be very appreciated.

Old 08-15-2019, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

Did you have the car inspected? How do you know its a rotor issue. There should be lots of aftermarket (non-Toyota) pars available including rotors.

The 2003 Camry seems to have used two different rotor depending on model, such as LE or SE.