New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

OD & Speedometer woes

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2023, 12:08 PM
Red face OD & Speedometer woes

I need help please!?! My gen 3 (94) Camry LE 2.2 lost overdrive. The speedometer read way slow also. I've check all the "usual suspects" such as button, fuse, Throttle position sensor(replaced&rechecked), Speed sensor(replaced), Even the brakelight sensor module(replaced)... no avail. Toyota troubleshooting had me unplug the trans module plug, drive it and shift manually. OD engaged just as it should. Replaced the shift solenoids & changed fluid. I'm down to the most likely suspect seems to be the ECM, but I keep seeing references to the speedometer cluster. Can anyone help me narrow this down without pouring money in? I'll spend, but I'm not rich...
Any help or ideas are appreciated!

Old 10-15-2023, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

How low does the speedo indicate? The O/D doesn't engage until 40 mph. If the speedo is indicating below 40 then it may not engage.

See private message.

Old 10-17-2023, 06:45 PM
Default OD & Speedometer woes

Originally Posted by toyomoho
How low does the speedo indicate? The O/D doesn't engage until 40 mph. If the speedo is indicating below 40 then it may not engage.

See private message.
Hey, Yes, I checked that. Even running fast enough to show 50+ on the speedo, no difference. I wonder if the reason it shows slow may also be causing my problems...

Old 10-18-2023, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

Did you replaced the speed sensor on top of the trans differential housing? Did you also check the wiring connection to the sensor for good contact?.

The dashboard speedo setup has a circuit board with capacitors on the board. These capacitors can degrade with age (common) resulting in the MPH indication being grossly inaccurate. The internet has info on this problem.

For info on replacing the capacitors search the net under "changing Camry speedometer capacitors". Assume the 1994 Camry speedo setup is the same or similar to other Toyota models of the years such as Corolla, etc. Plus Lexus at that time was very similar to the Camry thus may also be relevant.

The 1994 Camry is generation 3 which is from 1992 to 1996 and have the same speedo setup however the speed system may be the same until 2001.

The other models would have similar applicable years including Lexus.

There are also thread post titles listed below this one related to speedo issues.

Old 10-20-2023, 11:56 AM

Thank You toyomoho - Yes, I changed the speed sensor, checked the wiring thoroughly, along with several other related components referenced from official Toyota troubleshooting charts. I'm hoping for those speedometer capacitors to be the trouble. In the past, I had to replace them for the Tachometer. If this doesn't fix it, I guess I'm looking at the ECM(ECU). Bypassing the electronics, the mechanical OD section works properly, leaving the control circuitry. Fun, Fun!