Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

Practical??

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 12:03 PM
Default Practical??

Would it be practical to put any kind of power upgrade on my 94, four cylinder? if so should i star with turbo/super charger or should i take the whole header/exhaust/intake route? (limited budget (student))

Old 06-05-2006, 01:40 PM
Default RE: Practical??

well if u got a limited budget then dont go the whole turbo/super, sure thats the way to get major performance but its expensive, personally i dont kno how much in the u.s. it costs to turbo/super but in australia it expensive

Old 06-06-2006, 11:50 AM

I dont know too much about cars so this may be a dumb question. if, hypothetically, i put in a turbo would i get a big jump in power or would it be limited bacause its only got 4 cylinders and im just adding weight?

Old 06-06-2006, 09:55 PM

I too own a 94 4cyl. Personally, I would not spend the money to put a turbo or a supercharger on the car. Our cars have 130bhp stock... even less now that its 12 years old. But lets say you but a turbo or a supercharger on it, with supporting mods of course (fuel, electronics, and the amount of custom fab work needed). And you get a 50% increase in power. Sounds great right? It will have about 195-200hp at the crank. Probably put about 160 to the tires. But still getting a 50% gain from the engine is an accomplishment in itself, on any car.

The cost is going to hurt you. Between the electronics, the custom fab work you'll need and labor (if you have a shop put it together for you) Expect to spend well over $4000. I dont know about you, but I paid $1000 for my car and I'm not spending 3+ times the price of the car for some power.

Other options. Nitrous is going to be the best bang for you buck here, atleast in my opinion. You can get a kit for about 600 bucks. Our little 2.2L should be able to hold a 50 or maybe even a 75 shot. Still over half the price of the car (or atleast mine) and you have to re-fill the bottle when you run out.

I have said this in previous posts and I will stick to my guns here. The best way in my opinion to get horsepower out of a Camry is to sell it and buy a faster car. Yes I love my Camry but it isnt fast. I wouldnt bother putting much money into it. Although I have seen 3SGTE swaps done and they come out alright but its not worth the time, money and effort. Besides nobody makes a turbo kit for the 5SFE. And I think the only people that had the supercharger kit for it stopped producing it.

I have the list of the bare essentials needed to put a turbo on our cars. If you would like it PM me. Hope I could be helpful.

-Jason

Old 06-27-2006, 06:12 AM

here's a suggestions. save your money, go buy some books

Old 07-18-2006, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

hey a suggestion for you joe stop making errouneous post that make no sense. First the leaf blower crap no this go buy some books garbage dude get a life!

Old 02-14-2007, 11:58 PM

wow.. was that even english? I have no idea what that guy said.

Old 07-27-2007, 09:57 PM

If you really love your camry that much (i personaly know how you feel) just do the whole exhaust, headers, etc. Re-program the ECU, and do other small things like, synthetic oil, good spark plugs, keep it well maintained, etc. If that's not enough add some nitrous. Also if you want good acceleration you should get smaller rims (like 15", not 18") and add low profile tires. That way it would be easier on the car to accelerate. I have a friend with a chevy aveo. He switched to 14" aftermarket rims and the lowest profile tires he could get for the rims. It cut about a second off his 0-60 time.