Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Advice - to buy or not buy Camry Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 01:01 PM

https://www.google.com/search?source....0.e6vl46c3gnI

According to this Toyota warranties the Hybrid batteries, along with other Hybrid electrical components for 8 years, or 100,000 miles. In California this is increased to 10 years or 150,000 miles by government mandate. So they are trying to get people to buy into these things. But it doesn't change the fact that once they get past the warranty, they're all but worthless.

And I agree about government subsidies for companies who buy these things. Without them they wouldn't. One of the largest cab companies here in Phoenix almost exclusively uses the Toyota Prius. You can bet they are getting relief from the additional cost by tax subsidies. On the home solar market, the tax subsidies ended this past year. I read where they expect over 80% of the home solar companies to fold up once this takes hold. People will have no reason to buy into these expensive, complex systems that do not deliver that much savings. Same deal, the break even point is too far into the future. Because of this California is FORCING all newly constructed homes to have solar systems built into them by 2020.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...nia/598659002/

They estimate this will cost between $8K and $12K per home. (Depending which article you read). Not exactly what you want to do to a housing market that people are having a difficult time affording to buy into as it is. Not to mention a job market that is disappearing daily with layoff's and companies moving out of California because they're currently being taxed to death.

Old 05-11-2018, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

Your trying to debate with city hall who have been influenced by lobbyist, special interest groups, politics, idealism, money, power and greed.

The solar bill is complicated in its details. It doesn't mandate each new home have solar panels. 8$-12$K is cheap for a solar panel system but then the laws solar KW requirement is low.

One will still need energy companies who will be getting less income due to selling less power. They may be wanting to pass the negative savings (rate increases) onto those who don't have solar.

Plus all this power will come during the day unless suitable storage can be developed. California could end up with a glut of daytime power.

Do agree that for small businesses, California can be a very tough environment.

Old 08-12-2019, 06:31 PM

Of course it's not my business. Of course, I advise you to purchase. I personally use the online store hikezone.org. You can find out what is better and where to buy. I have been using it for about 5 years. As for the car, I advise! Do not doubt the choice!

Old 05-01-2021, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Interesting thread.

From experience, many energy savings or energy production devices may look good at first. However, when the numbers are run, they are found not to be economically viable.

The numbers showing there was no real pay off despite having rebates, tax credits/wavers, etc. (some very generous).

The kicker typically being the initial investment cost is too high. Ironically in some cases made high due to government/industry requirements (perhaps motivated by those opposed to the idea).

A government website stated the recapture time for the additional cost of a 2018 Camry LE hybrid over the conventional LE was something like 7.6 yrs.

If the hybrid battery OEM warranty is 8 yrs/100K miles, the owner is on their own for replacement shortly after this price difference is recaptured. A replacement battery will reset the time period needed to recapture this cost.

It appears (could be wrong) that a new Toyota OEM battery warranty is only 3yrs/36k miles (perhaps someone can check this). The result is the car owner is liable if this battery fails, sooner rather then later as with the factory battery.

If the Camry main battery does fail, the car is no longer drivable. It's one thing to be a DIYer and be able to replace or fix the battery at a reasonable cost. It's another to be at the mercy of the dealer.

Perhaps states like California which are mandating high mileage standards (meaning going to electric cars) will foster third party businesses that can provide battery repair/replacement at a reasonable cost.

Ford states they are pretty much getting out of passenger car business. The reason being Americans are buying SUV's and trucks, which just happen to be most profitable vehicles they sell.

Most car makers build hybrids to balance their fleets EPA MPG requirements, not to make profits.

Car makers will do pretty much anything to gain a few fractions of a MPG. Those engine start/stop devices are a result.

My opinion is unless a vehicle is a business tool (tax write off) or used in business to be able to deduct a federal standard mileage cost, they are really poor investments. More so if needing a dealer to fix them.

Most people I know having electric cars or hybrids use their car in a business, where sifting some of the cost to the taxpayer makes the vehicle viable.

That stated one might pick up a used mid 2000 HV, now made worthless by a dead main battery, for next to nothing. Then DIY repair or install a lower cost battery to have a HV on the cheap.

Here the return on investment would occur much sooner as the car would be depreciated, perhaps now worth more then repair costs (the cars cost being next to zero).
This is so well said. Gas cost that you saved with hybrid will be paid later for a new hv battery.
However, here in Jordan the situation is much better. A lot of third parties are offering replacing dead blocks or cells at a very reasonable price ( $20-25 per cell. There are also sell used refurbished batteries at half the cost of the dealer. Some even start using sonata lithium battery ( with modifications) on the camry at a much lower cost.

Last edited by man-jo; 05-01-2021 at 01:03 AM.
Old 07-10-2021, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by XaviAlonso
Of course it's not my business. Of course, I advise you to purchase. I personally use this company. You can find out what is better and where to buy. I have been using it for about 5 years. As for the car, I advise! Do not doubt the choice!
Online store for buying a Toyota? You kidding me? I would purchase it from an official representative.

Last edited by Chack Breggo; 09-02-2021 at 02:52 PM.
Old 09-01-2021, 01:58 PM

did the cost analisis & it'd be 5 yrs to break even, so I purchased a 2020 AWD it's rated 34mpg hwy & I'm getting 39 so you can extend those years

Old 08-12-2022, 08:30 AM

I think it's worth buying it, when I learned my first money on the crypto, I bought this car for myself, then bought another one. I made a lot of money on the crypt after studying at https://blog.bhero.com So I own a full set of XLE hybrid 2013. It is also available in 2014 in the SE configuration, both American-built. So, the hybrid version is much faster, there is also native sound insulation. Both cars are qualitatively assembled. The consumption of the hybrid is 7 to 8 liters, regardless of the city/highway. The interior of the Alcantara hybrid with leather. There is a push start, blind spot sensors, smart key (keyless access). Separate Clima, heated seats. I highly recommend the hybrid version of the Camry 50.

Last edited by polcenko; 08-13-2022 at 04:41 AM.
Old 12-05-2022, 10:07 PM
Default hybrid or not

I dont see the benefit of getting one as camrys are a Freak of nature when it comes to insanely good gas mileage no matter the year or engine size so i say NO HYBRID

Old 12-05-2022, 10:19 PM

in reality you only get more mpg in the city vs highway but camrys like i said are insanly good on gas you get about an extra 20 mpg city and highway stays about the same