Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Big decision on my Camry

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 10:25 AM
Question Big decision on my Camry

Ok, Im new here.. probably will be a steady user if I get a Camry.

But anyway, Im trying to decide on which Camry trim to buy. Im 24, and im looking for a Cam that is going to last, be very dependable, and treat me as well as im going to treat her. : )

My choices are the 2007
XLE V6
XLE 4i

I drove both, liked the v6. Its smooth transmission is great. Although it has less MPG..is it really that big of a difference? 2 mpg or something like that right?

Whats your experiances with both trims?
All responses are welcome, thanx again for your time everyone!

Old 04-28-2010, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

Might review the posts for this year of car (or Generation) at the Toyotanation website. The site has a lot more members some who may own this year of car.

I might get the V6 because the 4 cylinder has had some head bolt issues, the threads in the block can pull out. Seems to happen around 60-70K miles. Toyota has revised the block design. Not every engine has this problem of course, but read enough posts that I would stay away. Just my opinion.

The V6 also has more power if your going to tow a trailer, load the car down with people and baggage.

If you do the V6 route check the posts at Toyotanation. This engine may have had an oil leak issue. There is a fix out from Toyota.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:48 AM

Ok, I previously have done some reading on the cars through(edmunds, car and driver, other sites)... obviously each user is going to have different issues/problems with their car due to the driving styles and proper maintenance.

But I will take notice of the issues you have mentioned and read into detail on the topic when I come across.

I test drove both, I like the feel of the v6, its alot smoother in transistion and is a bit heavier. I dont tow, but i do plan on having 2 kids ride occasionally, along with a aftermarket stereo system (yea, car audio guru). My dad is trying to talk me into the 4 banger.. he says its easier on gas(is it really? Its(v6) rated only 2mpg less than the 4cyll) And he also says it is a lot easier to work on when needed.

What's the difference maintenance wise? besides the extra spark plugs and oil capacity?

Thanks for your input moho

Old 04-29-2010, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

The 4 cylinder being a smaller engine inside the same engine compartment as larger V6 would be easier to work on. Maintenance should be the same, as in minimal. The rear V6 plugs may be more difficult to change. Both engines use chain drive for the cams (no belt changes).

The V6 gets about 7-10% less MPG. Depends on driving conditions. Hwy, city, mix. On long hwy drives at steady speeds owners have gotten 30ish. City 18-22.

The V6 has about 100 more HP and a 6 speed trans, this translates into better performance.

On flat land the 4 cylinder does fine. If climbing mountains or heavily loaded down the 4 cylinder lags behind as it just does not have the same amount of HP.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:56 AM

Oh yea, i forgot the engine was belt less. But i understand what you mean about space in the engine compartment. That means that oil filters, starters, alternators are all more difficult to replace/gain access to right?

and sorry, for all the questions, but where are the plugs located on the v6..u said something about rear? Does that mean I would have to remove multiple parts just to access the plugs for changing?

Old 04-29-2010, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

The upper intake surge tank (air intake manifold and throttle body assy) needs to be removed. This comes off from the top of the engine. Perhaps a little time consuming but not too difficult.

But, plug change is 120K.

Filter change is easy enough. The engine uses a screw on canister where only the filter material inside is changed. You will need to get a special wrench from an auto parts store to remove the canister. The 4 cylinder may still use the typical can type filter.

Perhaps everything is a little more difficult to access but this should not stop someone from buying a car with the V6. The lack of timing belt is time saver!

Visit a dealer and ask to look at both 4 and V6 engine compartments.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:44 AM

Hi, just to let you know that there is 0% financing and 2 years free service on new Camry 2011 plus big discounts on MSRP. with all this you might end up with a lower payment than a used car. Contact me if you are interested at rajudevacharya@yahoo.com. I am a Toyota sales consultant in the Washington DC metro area. Where ever you maybe, I can help you make the right decission.

Happy buying,

Raju

Old 05-21-2010, 03:54 AM

Hello and welcome to the forum.It was nice meeting you here on this forum.I'm sure the decision you have taken for your car is good.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:39 AM

Hi and welcome to the forum.Well i think till now you must have taken your car.So which one did you choose.