Toyota - just another BS car maker - Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Old 06-18-2016, 06:04 PM

Default Toyota - just another BS car maker

I've driven lots of cars but never for too long. Way back in the days when times were great I would buy a new model and drive it for 2.5 years before changing it. Times are different now. I've had my Camry 2008 for 8 long years. I have also owned the most successful of the Toyota lineup - Camry, model 2005. It was build like a tank. Solid, reliable car. Things changed for Toyota around 07' with the redesigned Camry. Too bad they redesigned the term quality and reliability. The car feels and behaves nothing like the previous model and here is my bottom line 8 years and 90K later. Bear in mind I maintain the car better than a human and drive more carefully then a 90 year old on Parkinson medication.

- 30K - front doors lost their firm stepped movement and would swing all the way by the faintest of wind or inertia from the hand force used to open the door!
- 35K - the driver seat cushion started to squeak like there was a living thing inside. Also had this unreal feeling of something moving inside. Replaced by warranty. Dealership geniuses scratched the plastic on the side of the seat! Broke the clamp underneath the seat that keeps the fabric cover tightened!
- 40K - CD player has agenda on its own. Mostly out of order! Thank God CD died 20 years ago!
- 40K - condensation in the right headlight. Manual says "minor condensation is normal". Since when mixing water and electricity is normal, Toyota? Turned out to be a defective seal and the joint where the front plastic and the rest of the back housing meet cracked!
- 50K interior elements start to show gaps and minor deformities. Cheap plastics don't live long!
- 60K - air conditioner died! Diagnosis: cracked/punctured evaporator! Made by Denso! Never again!
- 65K - the switch responsible for the glove department light shorted! Blew up a fuse! Took it out, never looked back!
- 90K - clutch dead!!! Master and slave cylinders gone bye-bye! Made by AISIN. Cheap materials and built! Never again!

At the current rate this vehicle won't last another 50K. A well maintained and taken care of car should have no problems hitting the 500K mark. Or until the wheels just come off. This one was not a lemon. It's not bad luck either. It's just Toyota turning to be just another car maker. A dime a dozen. Newer cars are built to only last the warranty anyway but the myth of Toyota sturdiness and longevity is just that - a myth. I found out that the hard way and by seeing for myself the cheapness underneath this car is built upon! So long Toyota, you won't be missed!
Old 06-26-2016, 01:53 AM
Super Moderator

I'm glad my '07 is holding up better than yours! I have around 160K miles on it and I'm still on the original clutch. I've only had to replace the water pump about 25K miles ago along with the serpentine belt. Just normal wear and tear from there, tires, brakes.
So far, my oil consumption is not bad (a quart at 4K miles) and the head bolts do not seem to have separated any.
I do agree with you though. The 2AZ-FE engine is definitely one of Toyota's biggest blunders. My car is also a standard transmission. It has to be the most difficult manual transmission car that I have ever driven. The clutch point and engine revs are very specific to make smooth shifts and starts. I also thought the car would be snappier with the manual, but I don't think that is the case.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:11 AM

I disagree. I have a 2016 Rav4, 2017RAV4, 2009 Avalon and 95 Camry and though I have put work into the 95 due to its age all run good. My friend is a salesman and buys a used Avalon at 25 K and sells it after 200 K and starts over. At 200 K still fine. I think you just got a lemon. My dad had a car earlier in my life, a Nova, and everything under the sun went wrong with it while other owners had no issues. We got rid of it.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:37 AM

Clutch life is strictly determined by the driver. If driven properly, a clutch can last all but indefinitely. If a person constantly rides the clutch, I've seen them wear out and start slipping in less than 30,000 miles. No manufacturer can build a clutch that will last with a bad driver. And sadly as time goes on, fewer drivers are brought up knowing how to properly drive a standard transmission vehicle.