Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

93 camry, how do you replace control arm bushings?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 10:49 AM
Default 93 camry, how do you replace control arm bushings?

I purchased a replacement bushing kit for the suspension control arm because the shop said it needed the front to pass inspection. I've done quite a bit of auto repair before, but not this task. I have removed the control arm, but need to know how to get the old bushings out and the new in. I had no idea they were in there so tight. My Haynes manual says to replace the entire control arm if the bushings are worn, but of couse that's a lot more $. I found one article online that mentions burning out the old rubber with a torch. I thought I'd ask for other suggestions before I burn down my garage.

Old 12-19-2006, 09:41 AM
Default RE: 93 camry, how do you replace control arm bushings?

It turns out that heating them with a torch is the best and quickest way. The larger one I was able to remove without torching it, but the smaller diameter one really needed it. Once removed the problem became getting the new back in. The larger diameter one was not a problem, but the smaller one proved impossible. I lubed the snot out of it and took it to a freind's shop with a 20 ton press and the dang thing still wouldn't slide in. I surrendered, broke down and bought new control arms with the bushings already installed. If anyone knows how to install thesmaller diameter bushing, I'd still like to know. The guy's shop I took it to has been doing auto repair for over 20 years, and it had him stumped.

Old 01-19-2007, 04:48 PM
Default RE: 93 camry, how do you replace control arm bushings?

Sometimes new bushings are easier to install if you place them in the freezor overnight. It causes the material to shrink.