Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:44 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels and Tires
Print Wikipost

bad shocks??? need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 10:36 PM
20s
Default bad shocks??? need help

i put on my rims at 50k miles and when i took off the factory rims i noticed the inside of the tires where all eaten up like humps from hitting top shocks.

do i have bad shocks?? it did the same to my tires on my new rims (20") if so is there a thread somwhere that shows you how to replace shocks and what brand would be best?? certainly not the oem factory ones since they went out so fast

Old 03-12-2009, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

Are the struts leaking?

Old 03-13-2009, 10:16 PM
20s

how would you know if the struts are leaking.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

Remove a tire. Look up at the top of the strut body where the steel rod comes out and goes up to attach to the upper strut mount.

Where this rod goes into the strut body is a seal. If leaking oil would come out of the area where the rod goes into the body. The oil typically does not gush out.

A very small amount of oil seeping is OK. This would be a VERY thin film of oil that ends up attracting dust, the result is VERY thin film of grime around the top couple inches of the strut body.

However if you can see oil dripping, flowing, drops of oil, etc the strut is leaking.

What year of car? Toyota had issues on think 2005, something around this year. The struts would start to leak at around 40K.

A strut should last at least 100K and longer. When they wear out they no longer damping chassis bounce but typically should not leak.

Push down on the front of the car to get it oscillating as much as you can then let go. If the chassis stops oscillating within 2 cycles the struts are still working OK. Do the same for the rear of the car.

Changing struts is straight forward. The AutoZone website at www.autozone.com may have info on changing the struts in their Vehicle Repair Guide section. The link below provides info on changing struts for a Toyota MR2. This is a differant car but the suspension design appears the same as Camry.

http://www.turbomr2.com/MR2/HowTo/Su...ingStrut-1.HTM

Old 03-14-2009, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

On the tire damage where was it. Tread area, side wall? Can you post a photo? How long were these tires on the car?

The issue could be tire clearance. Your tires may be too wide and are hitting the inside of the wheel well. Remove the tire and look inside the wheel well for signs of rubbing.

Make sure the tire is not rubbing when the steering wheel is turned full to the left or right.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:56 PM
20s

tire damage was inside of the wheel not on the wall, it was doing this on my factory rims also that came with the car and now it is starting to do it on my rims on my 20's

by the way this is a 2007 toyota camry se

Old 03-19-2009, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

Damage inside the rim?

Old 03-23-2009, 04:16 PM
20s

no not inside the rim but like inside. let me try to draw a pic

[ xx] say thats the tire of the front driverside. where the x is thats where the damage is. its like that on all 4 wheels just the inside part

Old 03-23-2009, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

Your stating that the tire tread is damaged on the inner half of the tread.

If xxxxxx is the full face of the tread, the damage would be YYYxxx where Y is portion of the tread nearest the chassis.

What type of damage, rapid wear or cupping?

Do any of the photos at the website below look like the damage?

http://www.procarcare.com/includes/c...dtirewear.html

Old 03-24-2009, 03:41 PM
20s

ya its kinda like the cupping.

Quick Reply: bad shocks??? need help