Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Brake fluid replacement 05 Camry?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2023, 04:26 PM
Default Brake fluid replacement 05 Camry?

Hey all,

Time to replace the pads on the 05 Camry LE (it has an ABS system). I have a couple of questions I hope someone can help with.
1. How often do you need to replace the old brake fluid? Is it a mileage thing or time or both?
2. Since this is an ABS system can I use my vacuum brake bleeder that I use on my GM cars or do I need to default back to the time honored "pump and tighten" procedure or does the ABS system use a different procedure?
3. How much fluid is needed for full replacement? I know I'll need more than system capacity holds in order to vacuum/pump out all the old fluid in order to clean the lines and fill with new fluid.

Thanks for any comments....

SC

Old 07-07-2023, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

Supposedly the rear brakes need Toyota Techstream software to bleed them using the ABS. However try the pump pedal method first to see if anything comes out as normal brake operation doesn't involve the ABS operation.

DON"T let the master cylinder run out of fluid or the ABS will need to be bleed using its internal pump system via some kind of OBDII device.

Brake fluid absorbs moisture and can as a result turn darker in color. The internet has photos of brake fluid in various conditions. This moisture can corrode the brake system and if great enough boil if the fluid gets too hot. This stated most vehicle owners never change the brake fluid and nothing bad happens.

A quart should do.

Old 07-07-2023, 10:25 PM

Thanks Joey...

I figured you'd know the answers.

I understand about keeping the master cylinder reservoir from sucking air....NOT good!

That moisture content also affects the 'boiling point' of the fluid....another NOT good!

I was hoping my vacuum would work....works great on the GM ABS... Oh well....guess I'll end up bribing the 'spousal unit' to pump the brake pedal! I'll pay dearly for THAT....Haha...

Old 07-08-2023, 12:07 AM
Super Moderator

Vacuum may work but don't know. Toyota does call out the old style push the brake pedal method instead of having their usual proprietary tool. Might look into gravity bleeding as in open the line and let the fluid drip out. My own two cents is the old hose in a jar filled with brake fluid method to solo the job.

Old 07-08-2023, 09:43 AM

Yeah...from the reading I've done the Toyota tool/software is required if you get air in the ABS unit itself. From what I'm seeing it seems that if you just want to flush out the old it can be done without the gimmick of a special tool that makes sure you have to bring it back to the dealer for $ervice.... That being said...the trick, as I understand it, is to not let the reservoir run dry while flushing so as to prevent introducing air into the system....

I was concerned that the vacuum might mess up the ABS unit's valves or flappers and give me the dreaded ABS light to have to deal with.

Old 07-08-2023, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

Vacuum may very well work, who knows.

I think people overstate OBS concerns but then some ABS brake systems may not like this or that bleed process one uses on non-ABS system and of course one doesn't want to get too low on brake reservoir fluid as why create more problems.

Still if the worst happens a decent reasonable cost OBDII tool can activate the ABS valves. Techstream software is also out there for download or on a CD as are cables to connect the OBDII port to a computer. Try Ebay and Amazon.

If ever get an OBDII scanner take note Toyota has their own codes thus get one that can access this these codes plus ABS, airbag system, etc.

Old 01-21-2024, 05:42 AM

I totally agree with that

Old 01-22-2024, 12:26 AM

the air bag system of Toyota is very good

Old 01-22-2024, 08:59 PM

Brake fluid should be replaced every 2 years or as specified by the vehicle manufacturer, regardless of mileage, to maintain optimal brake system performance.

Old 01-23-2024, 09:35 PM

I think you are right here i have the same experience in the past.

Quick Reply: Brake fluid replacement 05 Camry?