Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:17 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

coil over kit vs. lowering springs

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 10:28 AM
Default coil over kit vs. lowering springs

i was looking at possibly lowering my car i had looking into lowering springs but ive noticed that after i added the extra weight from the stereo system the back end alone dropped 2+ inches. im wondering about should i just get a coilover kit from ground control(1 to 3 in drop) i found for 450 and lower the front more than the back to even the look out or should i buy a set of lowering springs and only install the front two and just save the back two. and so you have an idea ive added close to over 400lbs in the trunk and its in a 1999 camry V6 LE

Old 08-15-2008, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: coil over kit vs. lowering springs

Suggest you call Ground Control or whom ever you are going to buy the springs and ask about this.

One issue is the rear springs are now loaded by the extra weight to the point of sagging and may result in undesirable handling. Adding lowing springs to the front may complicate things even more. If adding coil overs all around, the springs may be designed for a certain average weight which you are now over.

Perhaps the Ground Control folks can come up with a setup customized for your car. A stiffer spring, more adjustment travel, etc.

Also if you sell the car and remove the equipment this will again effect car height, thus keep your old springs.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:57 PM

Dude, 400lbs in the rear? Wow! this car will not handle as intended no matter what you change in the suspension. If your worried about ride height I would say leave the front the way it is and get stronger springs for the back to jack it up. However keep in mind, the trunk is a bad place to have tons of weight and may cause the rear to slide out or "drift" easiercausingloss of control. Not to mention reduced gas mileage.

Old 08-24-2008, 03:56 PM

well im really in to stereo systems so i decided to go all out wit the stereo in the trunk but along the lines of handling ive seen no problems at all so far still handles and takes turns just as fast and grippy as before but along the lines of gas mileage im screwed but i was only getting 15-16 mpg before the system. and ive looked many places they only decent shop that can do anything wants 1100 just for the springs and they come in a set of 4 i cant buy just 2. then they want an install price ontop of that

Old 08-24-2008, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

I guess the car has more of a 50/50 balance now...haha.
Definately get in touch with ground control. I was thinking you could use some stiffer struts in the rear to compensate for the extra weight, and/or use higher height adjustment to compensate. However your car will not handle very well with so much weight in the rear and the car not being awd/rwd. I know my camry never handled well with the rear seat passengers.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:41 PM

i would go with a full dampner kit like megan ksport d2....etc cuz if you go with springs then your going to want new struts then you have to fix the camper it adds up and with dampner kits you get to adjust all of that in one shot for usally under 1K i got my ksports for only 855

Old 01-08-2009, 03:41 AM

just go for whatever you want. IF you decide to start throwing the camry around on corners i would hope your smart enough to take out what you can. 400 pounds on a stero is retarded IMHO.. and if your into audio, its hard to worry about handling when you start adding unnessesary weight. I would say get some very strong spring in the rear with some struts to handle it. go with some koni's for struts. you can also think about changing the sway bar diameter to help. BUT i think adding SOME weight to the rear can help with under-steer.the only time we got the camry to kick out on us was on ice/snow/rain(with bald tires) Getting some grippy tires will also help prevent over-steer..