Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Front axle problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 09:18 PM
Default Front axle problems

I'm pretty sure that my front axle is totally shot. It all the sudden decided that it didnt want to move at all. It sort of grinds and if i hit the gas it just revs up. Any ideas what it could be thats broken? I know that the cv boots were leaking? (correct me if i'm wrong about that). I'm thinking that its the cv joints? What do you guys think about that?

Old 01-12-2009, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Front axle problems

Jack up the front of the car. With trans in Neutral rotate each tire. Determine if there is grinding, a rough feel, noise.

If the car does not more it is possible a CV joint has broken. If one axle breaks the other will not turn.

Normally when turning the tire by hand the axle will turn gears inside the differential and thus offer resistance to your turrning the tire.

If the CV joint is broken the tire should turn easier again perhaps with some roughness and noise. As the odds of both sides being broken are slim compare one side of the car with other.

You can remove the tires and easily look at the axles, grab them, try to turn them, etc.

The other possible problem is the transmission. This being the differential (where the axles enter the trans housing) or the actual transmission that has the gears that shift when you drive.

If the differential goes bad the gears can be damaged and not turn the axles. If this is the case any grinding noise would be in the area where the axle go into the trans housing.

If the trans the noise would be in the trans housing which is between where the axles are and the engine block.