Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

OEM vs Multi Fit Steel Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 10:14 AM
Default OEM vs Multi Fit Steel Wheels

Hi All,

Looking into getting a set of winter tires + wheels for my 1997 Toyota Camry LE 4 Cyl.

History: I bought it used back in May this year (2011) in great shape with less than 200K. It's my first car, and pretty much everything I've learned about cars, except for driving, started then. As far as tires go, I am now aware that it came with 4 Michelin all-seasons (195/70-R14).

I've picked out the Hankook I*pike RC01s for my winter tires, but I'm having a terribly hard time finding OE wheels for the car. Candian Tire (I live in Hamilton, ON), doesn't carry any 14" OE wheels, only multi fits and the guys in the automotive dept. don't want to touch that with a 10' pole.

I'm aware that OE wheels are better than multi fits (I don't have enough technical knowledge to know exactly why).

So here's the Q: What's the Pros/Cons of multi fit wheels VS. OE wheels.

And secondly, if I can't find 14" OE winter wheels and have to settle with multi fits, what do I need to know before getting them installed to ensure I don't run into trouble down the road?
(I've read other forums where guys have mentioned they're fine as long as the proper hub ring is installed, but still mentioned trouble with bearing/tire damage and handling issues when using multi fits).

I'll be getting the work done at a garage, so perhaps someone can also recommend a decent one in the GTA.

Thanks for any help!

Regards,
Shawn

Old 11-20-2011, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

Even if your in Canada might look at the TireRack website for info.

You cannot find four 14 inch rims off a Camry or other Toyota model car that used this diameter? A lot of Toyota models used 14 inch rims.

Have you tried auto salvage yards, Craigslist, etc? Owners do replace OE rims with custom and want to get rid of the old rims.

Suggest going this route before buying new rims that were not OE on a Toyota car. You will also save money on used Toyota rims.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:00 AM

Thanks for the post.

I've taken a look on kijiji and craigslist. I think since I need the tires on soon, I'll just switch them over on the current rims for now and keep an eye out for an extra set of rims in the future.