Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:48 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Diagnostics
Print Wikipost

Pulling to the right ('98)

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 12:42 PM
Default Pulling to the right ('98)

Symptom: Pulls to the right while driving at any speed on any dry, level road surface and even on some slightly banked road surfaces.

Background: Acquired car at 107k miles (current miles in sig block below), pulling to the right at that time. Had alignment performed by well-qualified alignment tech. on a Hunter rack. I saw both before and after results printout. Alignment seemed to improve a lot, but a very slight pull to the right remained. As the days, weeks, and months passed, the pulling appeared to worsen to the extent that, within a couple months post-alignment, it was back to its pre-alignment condition (i.e. same severity and same direction of pull).

Since I've had the car, I've known that thereis an existing problem with a strut mount on one of the front wheels (can't recall which one right now) per my regular mechanic's comments.

So, my question is this (not being particularly keen on suspension issues):

Is it possible or even likelythat the source of these symptoms lies within a front strut mount(s) and/or strut(s) themselves and that it's not necessarily an out-of-alignment situation? Or could it be that a worn/damaged front strut and/or strut mount has caused an out-of-alignment situation?

[sm=feedback.gif]

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-13-2008, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Pulling to the right ('98)

Is this the shock strut mount or shock tower mount (part of the metal chassis) that has the problem? The soft "rubber' parts in the strut mount can break down over time the typical symptom is noise, a knocking when going over bumps. No one with shock strut mount wear has complained about steering issues, just the noise.

Is this a constant pull, under acceleration, etc? Was the car in an accident?

Tires often cause pulling, try swapping in the spare. Check the brake caliper pistons to see that they retract OK, a bad wheel bearing would do this IF bad enough. You should be able to feel the drag.

Did you inspect the suspension parts, tie rod ends, bushings, etc for obvious problems?

Toyota had a TSB for later cars that were pulling to the left but don't have the info here now. Even if it is the wrong side might get a few ideas, will check.

As a crude temp fix, pulling can often be reduced through tire pressure.

Old 03-14-2008, 10:49 AM

I think these cars (1997-2001) have a torque steer problem which is worse in some than others. I always had to hold the steering wheel slightly left when at highway speeds on my previous 1999. No alignments or tire adjustments ever made it go away, and it was never in any accidents. Now I have a 2000, and although I haven't noticed it drifting right, I do see that the steering wheel's default (drive wheels straight ahead) position is rotated left about five degrees.

So, in my experience, it may never go away. It was a bit annoying in the 1999, you absolutely could not take your hands off the steering wheel at highway speeds or else you would drift right off the road within a couple seconds.

Old 03-14-2008, 12:01 PM

Is this the shock strut mount or shock tower mount (part of the metal chassis) that has the problem?
I was told that it was very likely a bad strut mount. Nobody has actually tested any of the suspension components to actually prove this true or false.

Is this a constant pull, under acceleration, etc?
Yes, it's constant. It happens during acceleration, deceleration (no braking), and braking.

Was the car in an accident?
Yes, there's some evidence of a minor front-end collision. I don't have any details. Based on the evidence, it appears that it affected the driver side front quarter panel. If my assumptions are correct, could damage to driver's front side have damaged a suspension component on the passenger front side?

Tires often cause pulling, try swapping in the spare.
Thanks. I did have the four nearly new (i.e. about 6k miles on them), but el cheapo,tires rotated a couple different times. There was no noticeable change. I've not yet tried the spare. I might try that.

Check the brake caliper pistons to see that they retract OK, a bad wheel bearing would do this IF bad enough.
OK. Thanks for the tip.

Did you inspect the suspension parts, tie rod ends, bushings, etc for obvious problems?
Not personally (since I'm not very knowledgeable about what to look for). There's only two people who've been under the car since I've owned it...the alignment tech. mentioned in my original post and my regular mechanic (an independentToyo master tech).

As a crude temp fix, pulling can often be reduced through tire pressure.
Yeah, I've considered that.

Thank you very much for your quick and thorough reply!

Old 03-14-2008, 12:08 PM

I think these cars (1997-2001) have a torque steer problem which is worse in some than others.
Interesting. Any TSB(s) on it that you know of?

I always had to hold the steering wheel slightly left when at highway speeds on my previous 1999.

No alignments or tire adjustments ever made it go away, and it was never in any accidents.

So, in my experience, it may never go away.
[:@]

It was a bit annoying in the 1999, you absolutely could not take your hands off the steering wheel at highway speeds or else you would drift right off the road within a couple seconds.
This is how mine is right now. The good news, if there can be any, is that it pulls opposite oncoming traffic, which could help avoid a head-on collision. But, then again, I'm not too fond of colliding with fixed objects like trees, telephone poles, parked cars, and fire hydrants.

Old 03-15-2008, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

As I recall too much or not enough caster on one wheel with cause that tire to drift one way or the other.

Most TSB's deal with the car pulling to the left. The "fix" was to rotate the strut mount, swap front tires, etc. Not sure your cars strut mounts can be rotated.

The TSB below is for general pulling to the left or right:

http://www.brockandbecca.com/files/f...gToOneSide.pdf
Suggest going to a frame shop that can take a few measurements to determine if frame is off. As you see an OK alignment does not mean the car will run straight. Thus suggest talking to an expert.

There are add-on type adjusting parts that allow moving the suspension around to correct more major problems. Too make an ajustment to what was previously a non-adjustable or fixed angle for suppension part.

Old 03-15-2008, 04:56 PM

Thank you for the 2nd follow-up to my reply!

Not sure your cars strut mounts can be rotated.
Well, based on the struts and mounts that arefor sale online andelsewhere(both OEM and aftermarket ones), they are side-specific (i.e. they sell them as right only and left only); thus, the ol' switcheroo won't work.

Thanks for providing the link; however, that one is for 2002 and newer...mine is a 1998.

Suggest going to a frame shop that can take a few measurements to determine if frame is off.
I'll certainly do that if the other things (i.e. tire position changes, visual inspection, and possibly even one more alignment check) don't pan out.

The strange thing in this situation is the front tires (which have not been rotated in 7k miles, and have a total of 10k on them since new) show no uneven wear pattern. IOW, if you're just looking at the tires, you don't see any evidence of a pull to the right. AND: the car's been driven on two separate road trips within that 7k miles...one was 2k miles and the other was 1k miles. Certainly that much straight driving would have produced at least some visible, uneven wear!

And yes, it's not just my imagination that I have a pull to the right, because both my wife and her friend have driven it and, without prompting/suggesting from me, told me that it pulls.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:15 AM

thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by toyomoho
As I recall too much or not enough caster on one wheel with cause that tire to drift one way or the other.

Most TSB's deal with the car pulling to the left. The "fix" was to rotate the strut mount, swap front tires, etc. Not sure your cars strut mounts can be rotated.

http://www.brockandbecca.com/files/f...gToOneSide.pdfsuspensionbrakesbmwwheels
Suggest going to a frame shop that can take a few measurements to determine if frame is off. As you see an OK alignment does not mean the car will run straight. Thus suggest talking to an expert.

There are add-on type adjusting parts that allow moving the suspension around to correct more major problems. Too make an ajustment to what was previously a non-adjustable or fixed angle for suppension part.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:07 PM
Default Camry pulling to the side when accelerating

You need to change the lower arm bushings. I had the same problem on my 98 v6 camry with 255,000 miles......

Old 02-02-2015, 08:47 PM
Default Jumps an entire lane under acceleration/deceleration, SOMETIMES

1998 Camry. Fresh alignment, no parts needed. Checked by NTB where new tires and alignment checked. Alignment was POOR before. JUMPS almost in the other lane while accelerating/decelerating briskly.

Quick Reply: Pulling to the right ('98)