Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Rear suspension

Old 05-14-2011, 10:12 AM
Default Rear suspension

Got some rattle coming from the rear-left of my car.
Went under and checking it, I found it's one of the two lateral bars going from center of the car to the wheel.
There are several denominations for that part, my Service Manual calls it No.2 Lower Suspension Arm.
(I wish I could attach a picture, but how?).

My question is:
Do I have to replace the arm, or just its bushings?
Obviously, the noise is due to worn bushings and/or possibly the bolts which holds them, but not the arm itself, right?

Any suggestions, helpful comments will be much appreciated.

Old 05-15-2011, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

Make sure it is the arm, typically noise issues like this are due to worn sway bar bushings or end links.

If you are sure it is the arm the issue is typically the bushing. This is a common problem.

The bushings are pressed in.

Toyota may have the bushing or you might need a new arm that comes with the bushing. Availability of the bushing from Toyota depends on year of car.

Aftermarket polyurethane bushings are available.

If not wanting polyurethane or unable to find Toyota bushings shop around for a complete aftermarket arm to save costs.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:12 AM

Thanks for your input, Toyomoho.

I checked with both, local Toyota dealer and the supplier of those polyurethane bushings. The conclusion is that I'd have to replace the whole arm. Not cheap.
In stead of buying one, I tried something else:

I removed the outer end of the arm off its bolt and using Teflon tape (common in plumbing), I wrapped 5-6 turns around that bolt.
Installed the arm back and... rattle is gone!

I must mention that when I removed the nut and pulled out the arm from the holding long bolt, both contact surfaces had light, but sufficiently clear signs of wear, which supported my theory of where the rattling might be coming from.

Not a permanent solution, but Teflon is a tough material and there is a good chance to last awhile. The procedure is quite simple, I had nothing to lose.
I recommend it to anyone having the same problem and willing to save some money.

Note:
It helps if spraying some WD40 on the threaded end of that rusty bolt a couple of hours before attempting to remove the nut.

I will post a note, if the rattle is back sooner than 6 months.