Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:19 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels and Tires
Print Wikipost

Tires- Inquiry re: Bridgestone Pure Contact

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 10:22 AM
Default Tires- Inquiry re: CONTINENTAL Pure Contact , NOT Bridgestone (error)

I've got 2003 Camry XLE. 215/60/16 95H. Would like to review about good tires for Camrys... Very disappointed about the Yokohama Envigors that are bald at 32,000 mi. I have been considering Yokohama Ascends, but maybe treadwear not any better.? And maybe I will be considering the High Performance or Performance type tires vs. Grand Touring types.
Nexen CP672 and General Altimax Rt are recommended by local Town Fair Tire because of "better treadwear"-?. They also recommend Continental Conti Pro Contact, but not sure about that one.

But that led me to CONTINENTAL Pure Contact. I think they are a somewhat new model. I am reading nice reviews about those. Are there opinions about this tire by anyone here?

Thank you!

Last edited by massachusetts123; 02-11-2014 at 09:21 AM.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

Have you reviewed opinions at tirerack.com?

Old 02-11-2014, 12:07 AM
Super Moderator

If getting the most mileage out of your tires is your concern then you are going to look at touring. I am cheap though and simply look at for the best tire for the cheapest. So, no Goodyears for me! You also might want to call one of your local tire shops and see if they have any 'take-offs'. These are tires that were on someone's car for under 30 days and returned. These are common in my area so people can pass the yearly inspection. Good tires, lightly used, and the warranty sticks.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:15 AM

I need to correct Subject Title... NOT Bridgestone, but Continental.

Last edited by massachusetts123; 02-11-2014 at 09:17 AM. Reason: to correct thread Title
Old 02-11-2014, 09:34 AM

in response, Tirerack's customer reviews is where I saw the very good reviews. And they sure are impressive. Just wondering if anyone here is familiar with them.

I'm just realizing that this tire is a grand touring tire. I had already considered going with a all-season tire and thought the Pure Contact was that. But this Continental is worth trying.
I would agree, Patonium, I too want to buy less expensive tires, especially at 128,000 mi. (although this car looks excellent). The Pure Contacts are not expensive for their category. And not the lowest. It is just difficult not to notice their very good reviews.

I'm also being recommended Nexen CP672(?) and General Altima RT tires by Town Fair Tire (East Coast), and not to mention the Continental Pro Contacts. General is the lowest cost. All three are All Season Performance tires, with two of them having been recognized by Consumer Reports.

Thanks.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:19 AM
Super Moderator

I had some General's on a VW Corrado and I was pleased. I cannot comment on how long they lasted because I only had them for a year but I never had trouble in the snow or hydroplaning in water. And yes, they are cheap and that is why I bought them. They weren't Altima's though, can't remember what they were called.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:07 AM
Default Followup & Final Purchase

It took a while but finally got to buy new tires. And I ended back to Monro (originally a muffler place) where I've bought most of my previous tires for 3 Toyota cars. I had wanted to try Tire Faire and they were appealing.
I was upset about the Yokohama's and wanted to see what Monro would offer as well. And maybe being a longtime customer there (just oil changes that I alternate with Toyota dealer, occasional non-significant item to replace, and all the previous tires) (I have a mechanic for more involved parts and engine related items), & we couldn't figure if the Yokohama's were being rotated regularly at oil changes (included in price!), this is how it went and it seems a bit hard to believe--
Remember, I have a 2003 Toyota Camry XLE, 128,000 miles. 215-16-94/95
We looked at the other Yokohama Ascends..Avid?, and then he suggested Dunlop Signature II (all season tire). Strangely, the Sign.II's were on my original short-list before becoming interested in the Coninental Pure Contacts & Tire Faire's offers. So I was surprised at the suggestion. As if it comes full circle. But not convinced yet.
And then he priced it. $511 for everything. 4 tires (H's which I wanted, not V or T) and everything related to mounting & removing old ones included. I don't buy the extra tire insurance. AND included was a front & rear wheel alignment. Yikes, difficult to pass up.
And since we would not be able to prove the Yokohama's were being rotated regularly inorder to get any warranty on them, I took this deal.

Signature II review-- They surely do grip the road and turns, wet, dry and have been good in snow. (we've had lots here!) Since my old front tires were bald, any new tires would seem to offer a soft ride. Not sure if they are the quietest. They may need to settle in. They are great around town and on highway. We shall see how long they last. But I did have a set of Dunlop's on another Camry in past, and recall they lasted a long time. In fact, all my tires (including Yokohama long time ago) have lasted forever except these recent Yokohama's. Regardless, the price was great.

Glad I researched so much. I learned a lot.
And I really appreciate the feedback I've received here. Thank you so much!
Enjoy this lingering Winter!

Old 03-01-2014, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator

Thank you for sharing and giving us an update on your tires. I hope that they last you a long time and it's nice to hear they have good performance in this lingering winter that won't just go away! Sounds like a good deal too and nice that the alignment was included.
Again, thanks for the update and congrats on the new shoes!