Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Troubleshooting Traction Control

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 10:22 AM
Default Troubleshooting Traction Control

I've got a '98 XLE V6. It has been a sweet ride for MANY (240K) miles! But today the orange dashboard indicator light "Trac Off" lit up. And no matter how many time I cycle the on/off button on the lower left dash, the orange indicator light stays on.

My first troubleshooting idea is to find a slick patch of road and try to get the wheels to slip to see if the flashing green traction control icon on the dash shows up. But beyond that, I'm at a loss on how to start troubleshooting this.

Any suggestions. Many thanks!

Old 01-18-2011, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

The TRAC system has its own diagnostic system.

Try this to down load any trouble codes:

Look for a small (approx 1 x 2 inch) plastic box inside engine compartment labeled "Diagnostic." Might be mounted on one of the strut towers.

Inside the box are electrical terminals. Use a section of wire or paper clip to connect the Tc and E1 terminals. Turn the ign key to On.

If codes are stored the TRAC light will flash them out one numeral at a time. Example-2 flashes, pause, 1 flash = code 21. If more then one code is stored they will be outputted from lowest to highest. All codes have two numbers. If no codes are stored the light will flash at a steady rate. Once all codes have outputted they will be repeated.

When you have the code(s) post back.

Note: This will also output any codes from the ABS system using the ABS light. If for some reason this light is also flashing out codes (instead of a steady flash) record these also.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:58 PM

That sounds easy enough. I'll give that a try in the next couple of days and let you know what codes it transmits. Thanks!

Old 01-18-2011, 08:27 PM

that was perfect!I wonder what happen to your car right now? did that work?

Old 01-22-2011, 09:17 PM

Toyomoyo, I just followed your instructions to get the trouble codes. Here they are:

TRAC OFF: 61, 43
ABS: 23, 26, 27

(I grabbed the ABS codes too, just in case that helps.)

Also, I had a chance to drive on a slick road this morning. I gunned the engine, causing the drive wheels to slip. But the usual flashing green dash icon indicating engagement of the TRAC system did not come on. And I felt no correction of the slipping. It seems that the orange dash light saying "TRAC Off" is telling the truth.

Now I just have to figure out how to get the lower left dashboard switch to work to turn the tractional control back on.

What do you make of the error codes?

Old 01-23-2011, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

If TRAC OFF light on, the system is off.

Is the ABS light also on?

This is a complicated system. Suggest you send a private message with email address, will reply with diagnostic info file.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:42 PM
Question

Originally Posted by gygibyte
Toyomoyo, I just followed your instructions to get the trouble codes. Here they are:

TRAC OFF: 61, 43
ABS: 23, 26, 27

(I grabbed the ABS codes too, just in case that helps.)

Also, I had a chance to drive on a slick road this morning. I gunned the engine, causing the drive wheels to slip. But the usual flashing green dash icon indicating engagement of the TRAC system did not come on. And I felt no correction of the slipping. It seems that the orange dash light saying "TRAC Off" is telling the truth.

Now I just have to figure out how to get the lower left dashboard switch to work to turn the tractional control back on.

What do you make of the error codes?

Hi Gygibyte, Did you ever figure out what the issue was? I have TRAC off with codes 43 and 61 as well. 1998 Camry XLE V6 as well

Thanks!

Old 01-08-2015, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Is the airbag light on?

Old 01-08-2015, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Is the airbag light on?

No airbag light. Just TRAC light and my check engine light (P1410 EGR..I believe unrelated).

Old 01-08-2015, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator

For TRAC system:
Code 43 is ABS control system malfunction.
Code 61 is engine control system malfunction.

TRAC will turn off if check engine light comes on = engine problem.

Repair any engine code issues and TRAC should function normally.

Quick Reply: Troubleshooting Traction Control