TCF Help & Suggestion Center Need help with Toyota Camry Forums? Ask. Have a suggestion to better TCF? Tell us here.

Massive transmission oil leak while running

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2023, 11:38 AM
Default Massive transmission oil leak while running

I have 2000 CE 2.2 4Cyl. 212,000 miles

This morning I was doing Uber eats deliveries and recognize that light white smoke came out from driver side of engine room. Also Notice that there is concrete smell or coming out from vent.
Then I look underneath of car, the transmission oil or deferential oil is leaking massive.

I stopped the engine then start again oil leak happens.

I drove back to my apartment with crossing finger that transmission will hold the power but it stopped leaking ( small small leak )

My car also smells gasoline from back bumper area so I thought fuel pump issue or something but anyways....

​​​​​​What happened to my Camry?
did it internal overheat and boil out the fluid?

I have some pictures so i post in here..

I checked the transmission fluid but it is I believe.... full.( as long as I'm not misread, I measured the level while Engine running )
Engine still full, powersteering ok.

I
FYI I Changed the fluid about 2.5qt for transmission fluid about 3 months ago.

This is where the oil leak from....

Green is where dripping of oil keeps coming... mainly this is where was leaking

I'm sorry I've been panicking and so as 7 hour Uber plus regular job is hard so my typing is not good at all.

Please ask me any questions if it is unclear.
And need an advice at the same time.

Thank you everyone.

Happened like a waterfall I had 2 spots of this on driveway

Last edited by camcamcamtan; 10-09-2023 at 12:07 PM.
Old 10-09-2023, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

What type of fluid is leaking? Trans fluid is purple, smells and feels different from engine oil.

Where is the fluid leaking from? The photo appears to show its leaking out of the bell housing. If so and its transmission fluid then a seal is leaking or a torque converter issue. These repairs require taking the transmission off the engine.

Check the area where the drive axles install into the transmission differential. A seal on the differential can leak. If so trans fluid will be on the trans case under where the axle goes into the case. The differential uses the same fluid as the transmission. Note the differential fluid housing which holds the fluid may be separate from the transmission fluid reservoir. Check for a trans fluid drain and fill port on the differential housing which will indicate the differential has its own fluid reservoir. If fluid leaks out of the differential having a separate reservoir it will not be shown on the trans dipstick.

The trans is connected to a transmission fluid oil cooler on the radiator by rubber hoses. Check if the hoses or hose connections are leaking trans fluid.

The power steering also uses transmission fluid so check the hoses, etc. for leaks.

Old 10-09-2023, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
What type of fluid is leaking? Trans fluid is purple, smells and feels different from engine oil.

Where is the fluid leaking from? The photo appears to show its leaking out of the bell housing. If so and its transmission fluid then a seal is leaking or a torque converter issue. These repairs require taking the transmission off the engine.

Check the area where the drive axles install into the transmission differential. A seal on the differential can leak. If so trans fluid will be on the trans case under where the axle goes into the case. The differential uses the same fluid as the transmission. Note the differential fluid housing which holds the fluid may be separate from the transmission fluid reservoir. Check for a trans fluid drain and fill port on the differential housing which will indicate the differential has its own fluid reservoir. If fluid leaks out of the differential having a separate reservoir it will not be shown on the trans dipstick.

The trans is connected to a transmission fluid oil cooler on the radiator by rubber hoses. Check if the hoses or hose connections are leaking trans fluid.

The power steering also uses transmission fluid so check the hoses, etc. for leaks.
hello Toyomoho

Thank you for comment.

To my knowledge, it smells like leather or baseball glove 🥊
And it was dark red looks. It's for sure not engine oil.

The picture where red circle ⭕ is leaking from.

Oh my lord,, I hope it's not torque converter.
Thing I thought was, if it's differential oil, will it keep leaking out while Engine is turning?
I thought it was differential fluid as well since trans fluid didn't affect. ( I will double check ✔️)
And another strange thing is,, it stopped when I drive again.

I'll take a look today hope it is axle....

Old 10-09-2023, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

Change the purple color stated to red, my mistake. Most trans fluid is red but not all.

The differential system is not pressured when the engine runs thus a leak here would not increase with engine on,

You stated you changed the trans fluid just before this leak started. Did you possibly overfill the trans, etc?.

Old 10-09-2023, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Change the purple color stated to red, my mistake. Most trans fluid is red but not all.

The differential system is not pressured when the engine runs thus a leak here would not increase with engine on,

You stated you changed the trans fluid just before this leak started. Did you possibly overfill the trans, etc?.
> Toyomoho

I only put back the amount came out.

( UPDATE )
​​​So I test drive again but it maybe torque converter or main seal may gone.
the gear shift when cold but stopped shifting when hot.
( it's like engine rev to 1.5 or 2k rev then car slowly move )

so.... I guess I have to drop the engine off...