DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

High beam lighting partially functional

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 07:29 PM

Thanks for clearing up the steering wheel matter as well as providing additional helpful advice. I currently use a Chilton Manual. Is the Haynes preferential to Chilton?

Old 08-10-2014, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator

Depends on who you ask. I like Haynes.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:52 PM

Okay, hoping someone can help. I replaced the old dimmer switch. All that's left is the de-pinning of the old switch leads & the pinning of the new leads. Attached is a picture of the connector, into which the dimmer switch leads (total of 7) are inserted. I picked up a terminal tool to ease the de-pinning process. Shouldn't this connector separate, giving me access to the male pin heads, allowing me to de-pin the connector? Also, at the top and bottom of the connector are flaps, which when lifted, allows access at the pin's point of insertion. If this connector does separate, how is that done?

Attached Thumbnails High beam lighting partially functional-dscn0181.jpg  
Old 08-17-2014, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

There is a SMALL clip to push for each plug. Look on the opposite side of the label.

Old 08-17-2014, 03:32 PM

Okay, thanks for that. I've noted the wire color relating to each terminal. The terminal removal tool I picked up at O'Reilly's doesn't mate with the type of connector pin present. Any suggestions? When I do get these pins out, do the new leads simply push in by hand or is there a more precise way of re-pinning the connector?

Last edited by bobioni; 08-17-2014 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Incorrect wording
Old 08-18-2014, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

Did you get the two plugs disconnected?

Toyota has a HOST of different plugs and pins styles. Look at the plug for any holes on the side or top that can allow tool access.

Most pins have a spring tab that can only be compressed from one direction, typically the front (opposite side of exposed wires) of the plug. Toyota may have some designs where it is compressed from the opposite direction.

If new switch has pins suggest reviewing their design as to how they lock in and can be unlocked.

For pin removal tools, Toyota also uses a narrow, thin, flat probe to remove some pin designs, almost like a thin but ridged feeler gauge.

Or a narrow, thicker, flat probe having a very long taper. The tapered end is inserted.

Would assume for this plug, the leads push in from the back of the plug. Other wise wiring the plug would be too complicated and time consuming.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:13 PM

I'm at the following part of the repair: "Turn the spiral cable on the combination switch counterclockwise by hand until it becomes harder to turn. Then rotate the cable clockwise about three turns to align the alignment mark." What exactly is the purpose of this procedure? What is accomplished by this procedural step? Once it has become harder to turn, does it require 3 clockwise turns to align the mark? Why does my spiral cable assembly say 6 turns? Is there a more accurate way to set this cable other than "turning the spiral cable on the combination switch counterclockwise by hand until it becomes harder to turn"?

Last edited by bobioni; 08-30-2014 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Restate my issue