Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

'99 4 cyl timing belt replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 02:14 PM
Default '99 4 cyl timing belt replacement

I am replacing the timing belt on my '99 4 cyl. The crankshaft pulley bolt will not loosen using my electric impact wrench. I have a large breaker bar and can put about 600 ft lbs of torque on the bolt, but the engine turns over. How do I "lock" the crankshaft in place so that I can apply the necessary torque on the bolt? My Haynes manual says "remove the flywheel/driveplate cover and use a prybar wedged against the ring gear teeth or a converter bolt to hold the crankshaft while loosening the pulley bolt ... " I believe I have found the cover they are refering to, but it appears I would have to remove the bolts which fasten the transmission to the engine to get the plate off. Any suggestions? Will I have to $pring for a pneumatic high-torque impact wrench to get this crankshaft pulley bolt off? Any Toyota mechanics out there who can tell me what they do in their Toyota Service Dept?

Old 02-13-2008, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: '99 4 cyl timing belt replacement

Yes, an air impact wrench should do the job but first try this:

Look at the front of the pulley and you should see two small threaded bolt holes on the face. These are the same holes used to attach the puller. Don't use a jaw type puller that pulls from behind or the pulley could be damaged (it is 2 pieces held together by a rubber material).

You want to find a piece of wood or something else that can be attached to the pulley using the bolt holes. The threaded holes are standard metric sizes available at any decent hardware store.

The piece bolted to the pulley should long enough that when the pulley rotates the board, etc. binds with the floor or a solid part of the car and thus keeps the pulley from rotating. When making this part drill a hole for the socket and wrench extension to access the bolt.

The above method works very well and can also be used to install the bolt.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:26 PM

Yes. I do see those two threaded holes. I'll find a piece of scrap wood and see if I can make something that will work. It seems like your suggestion should work. I'm wondering if TMC has a tool made just for this purpose. Thanks for the input. I intend to change the timing belt next week. I'll let you know how it works.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

Toyota does have a special tool for this job. It looks like a round flat plate with a hole in the center that bolts to the pulley. The handle bolts to one side of the plate.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:31 PM

That procedure works very well, indeed! I now have a new timing belt on my friend's Camry and everything is purring nicely. Thanks for the suggestion!

Old 02-20-2008, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator

Great!

Old 05-21-2012, 09:31 PM

An old post, but it really take use, thanks!

Old 10-11-2012, 09:00 AM

Why didn't someone tell me! : that only two of the four holes on the harmonic balance are threaded 6 x 1.0 on a 5SFE??? 94 Camry So sorry to tell O'rielly's Auto Parts the 67005 (made in China) puller for GM V6 is marked 6 X 1.0 BUT IT AIN'T!! Go by (Ace) local haedware and purchase 2 6mm X 1.0 X 45 HEX head bolts and 2 fender washers set you back $2, place the flat side of puller in and it will be flush with the face of the pulley. And do not raise the engine to remove I only had 13mm clearance on the "pusher" bolt. The balancer will fall off as the bolts reach the frame. Check the SPECIAL bolts threads with a 6 X 1.0 nut before you break it off in the first hole you try to tighted it into!! Going to thread all 4 holes SAE! When I drill out the 6mm!
Have I been away from mechanicing too long the 3 arm balancer puller is for Ford FE blocks and 4 for VW and CHY (VW) dirivitives?

Last edited by grizlbr; 10-11-2012 at 09:33 AM. Reason: of puller" been away too long?
Old 10-11-2012, 10:01 AM
Default All by your self on the Farm

Talking about FE Fords I will let you know how we broke the harmonic balancer bolt before we had air tools on the farm. Every one owns a 18" long 1/2 inch 'breaker' bar (pull handle)? Place a socket on the crank bolt with pull handle and rotate to the frame brace in the <TIGHTEN< direction (assuming laying on ground facing the engine) that limits turning! Get off ground and turn ignition to start for half a second ie. bump the starter. This will not work on a Corvair or if your engine is seazed! Pull handle will be in downward direction or some where on the ground. Takes more than ten revolutions for the bolt to fall out never been that brave.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:53 AM

Chevy does have a unique device for this job. It looks like a circular smooth dish with an opening in the middle that screws to the lever. The manage screws to one part of the dish.