General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I keep my 93?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 12:06 PM
Default Should I keep my 93?

I have a '93 Camry that I driven since new. It's got 267K and it still runs good. It burns about a quart of oil every 2500 miles or so and the 4 cyl motor gives 31 mph average. Over the years it's been a really cheap car to keep going with just routine maintenance expenses for brakes, timing belts, batteries, tires a window motor replacement and CV joints. I put 400 miles a week on this car now and I am beginning to wonder if it's time to look at a little later model. I want something at least as reliable and economical. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Old 12-10-2008, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Should I keep my 93?

What are the reasons you want to move to another car? What type of car, compact, midsize, new or used? Are you looking for reasons to keep this car or move on? If trading for a used car can you be assured you would not be trading down condition wise.

The Generation 3 Camry’s were supposed among the best of the Camry. A solid, dependable car, the 4-cylinder engine gets very good MPG, parts are readily available, used engine and trans are cheap and its faults are well known.

To achieve 267K you must have given the car very good maintenance. Your oil usage is extremely good. Add up all the maintenance costs to date and the total should be very reasonable given the amount of miles you have on the car on condition it is in today.

As stated the issues with the Gen 3 are well known. If your looking for list of parts that go back over time I can send you one.

The 5SFE is an excellent engine and will not fail unless hot rodded, grossly overheated or run out of oil, all have happened. The transmission will hold up but you must change the fluid, recommend every 30K miles.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:28 PM

Yeah, why are you thinking of getting rid of this one? Is there anything particularly lacking or do you just want to have a newer model with more conveniences? I would say that if you don't have any compelling reason to let it go, stay with itit's in good shape and it's economic, what else would you need?

Old 12-10-2008, 05:22 PM

I guess I was really looking for a good reason to keep it and since I don't really have anything special in mind it makes sense to keep on driving. It does and has everything I need in a car. Maybe when a Toyota IQ diesel becomes available I'll get an itch I'll have to scratch. Thanks for your input