Go Back   Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Enthusiast Forum > General Toyota Camry Forums > General Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

submit to reddit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-10-2010, 09:28 AM

Default 2002 Camry OBD-II Code P0442

Two days ago I was driving my 2002 Toyota Camry LE when the Check engine light came on. Yesterday I took it to Advance Auto and plugged it into the computer there. I got an OBD-II code of P0442 EVAP system leak detected (small). I have already tightened the gas cap but the light remains on. After reading my Haynes Repair Manual and consulting some Toyota Forums I have found that this problem can be due to several factors. I don't want to take my car to the dealership and have them charge me to find a code that i already know or to due any other work that I could do myself. Does anyone on here have a way to find the source of the leak or any other suggestions on how to fix this problem. Also, I just had this car inspected for emissions four days before the light came on so worrying about it passing inspection is not a concern at this time.

Thanks !
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Camryforums!
Old 05-10-2010, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

Toyota issued a TSB on this code (among many) coming up. Something about a rusty filler tube.

Might start by trying to find the TSB 02206.

Inspect the filler neck area where the gas station fuel pump nozzle goes into for rust thru causing a leak.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:27 AM

submit to reddit

Tags
0442, 1185, 2002, camry, car, check, code, engine, gas, leak, obd2, odb, p0442, reading, toyota