General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Check engine light on-error code P0446

Old 06-21-2018, 08:47 PM
Post Check engine light on-error code P0446

Hi,

I have a Camry 2005 with just over 165000 mileage. Today suddenly check engine light came up and Autozone scanner came up with P0446 code. As a driver I am quite new, hence I have not much idea about the severity of this code. From what I have found in google is this code is related with EVAP canister. Do I need to go to a mechanic immediately or I can drive the car with this code without immediate maintenance?

Any helpful suggestion will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Wasek

Old 06-22-2018, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

The code is related to a fuel tank emissions (EVAP) issue.

You can drive the car safely for as long as needed. If your area requires emissions testing for tab licensing, it most likely will not pass due to the code being set.

The problem is with the EVAP vent solenoid valve, the hoses to it or vent for it. Its a very common code and problem. Aftermarket parts are readily available.

The valve is located under the rear of the car in front of the fuel tank. If you knew someone handy with tools and cars, they should be able to investigate and fix the problem. The internet has lots of DIY info on dealing with this code.