General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 camry xle 2.2 slight oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 09:40 AM
Default 2003 camry xle 2.2 slight oil leak

hello--I have a 2003 camry xle, with 157,830 miles. I am original owner and bought new, dealer serviced by same dealer.
I have noticed that I usually have to add about a half quart of oil once or twice a month, in between oil changes, at 3000 miles. I have had 02 sensor replaced, cat conv replaced, and a new oil pan gasket, and new brakes at 100,000. I do all highway driving---other than reg oil changes, and tires, thats all I have had to do with the car, it runs great.
I notice this model year, the exhaust pipe hangs down lower, and I had mine checked by another toyo dealer, and they said the car is fine, but they noticed slight oil leak around valve cover. I also noticed, some slight build up, in front, near alternator. they said it wasn't bad.
My regular dealer, never mentioned it----and I had the 150,000 mile service done by them several months ago.
there is no white or blue smoke at startup or driving==no coolant leak.
Is it a good idea, to get this valve cover gasket replaced, or should I try that Bar's Oil stop leak?
I'd like to keep this car a bit longer, before getting new---how many more miles, do any of you reading, think I can get out of this car?
thanks for responding...regards JP

Old 09-23-2009, 07:55 PM

This is a very common leak point for the 2.2L. Replace the VC gaskets and the cam plug. Do NOT EVER use any stop leak for the engine or the cooling system- EVER.

JJ

Old 09-23-2009, 10:15 PM

thankyou Joel

I have made an appt with my toyo dealer, for my oil change, and they are going to replace the gasket. the other dealer quoted me 139.95-which I thought was a fair price. where is the cam plug? is that under the cover, and is that expensive?
I was just concerned with the threads talking about blown head gaskets, and I have no water or coolant leaks, just this oil seepage near the front
Please let me know about the cam plug, what it is, and if that is an expensive part--thanks again for replying,
regards
JP