General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 08-27-2015, 12:36 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Electrical System
Print Wikipost

2007 CAMRY V6 oxygen sensor

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

ferkkila is correct, you are changing the wrong sensor.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:04 AM

You must change the wrong.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:44 AM

I have a 2007 V6 Camry and my check engine light came on and gave the same OBD2 codes (P0161 and P0057). I'm planning on replacing the heated oxygen sensor for bank 2 sensor 2. On the 1sttoyotaparts.com website, would this be the sensor that goes to exhaust manifold left? Also, I've read that Denso is pretty equivalent to the OEM part, is this true? I'd appreciate it if anyone could point me to a reliable website to purchase one from. Thanks in advance.

Old 12-29-2015, 05:24 PM
Default 2007 Toyota Camry XLE V6

I'm going to take a long shot here and hope someone can shed some light on me. I have a 2007 Camry XLE V6 and let me say that I absolutely love this car. It runs nice and smooth and has given me very little problems until this year. I was on my way home from work and my check light came on along with VSC light too. According to Toyota dealership it's the O2 sensors in the back. They are going to charge me 700 to fix it and "hope" this is the issue. Should I be scared? Can this be done at home or should it be done "professionally"?

Old 12-29-2015, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

You can DIY and save. You need to know which sensor(s) to replace and have the right tool(s). Look on the dealers diagnostic report from any code numbers (one letter followed by 4 numbers such as P0130). Or if there is any reference to what sensor(s) are bad such as front or rear sensor, before or after sensor.

If not knowing what sensor(s) have a third party read out any trouble codes. Some auto parts stores will do this for free. The code(s) will pin point what sensor(s) is having a problem. You might also be able to borrow or rent a code reader from an auto parts store, rent at a rental equipment store or buy a low cost one.

The sensors are identified based on location. B1, B2 for Bank 1 or 2. Bank 1 is the exhaust system coming off the rear cylinder head. Bank 2 the closet to the radiator.

S1, S2 for Sensor 1, Sensor 2, etc. The number of the sensor refers to its place on the exhaust system. S1 is closest to the cylinder head where the exhaust pipe attaches. S2 is further down the exhaust then S1 is located. If there is an S3 it is located further down the exhaust system after the two cylinder head pipes combine.

B1 S1 would then be the first sensor on the exhaust system for the cylinder head closest to the firewall.

There is one sensor on each exhaust pipe coming off the each head located before and after the emissions converter for each cylinder head. If there is another converter on the main exhaust pipe going to the muffler there would be one after this converter.

Buy the part online from sites like rockauto, Amazon, etc. The old part may have an OEM part number which can be crossed to other brand names. Sites like rockauto can list OEM part numbers next to third party parts.

If getting a non-Toyota sensor suggest Denso brand as works best. Get a sensor designed to fit you car, not one called a "universal" sensor.

For tools, once you know what sensor(s) (they have different mounts) and location, obtain the right tool from an auto parts store, Harbor Freight or online. The tools are low cost.

You should fix the problem but have time. A failing sensor can cause the engine to run rich or lean, perhaps idle rough and decrease MPG. Most times it runs OK but MPG may decrease (and emissions increase). The light being on, the car will not pass emissions inspection of required for license renewal.

The VSC light comes on whenever the check light does to lower HP needs on the engine. If you fix the cause of the check light being on the VSC will go off.

Many people replace their own sensors.

If you are going to be doing further repairs suggest obtaining some service info such as a low cost Haynes service manual.

Last edited by toyomoho; 12-29-2015 at 08:05 PM.