General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

89 ignition lock replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 12:06 AM
Default 89 ignition lock replacement

ok on my 89 for some reason i put my key in and it wont turn even wiggleing it still nothing now i think i have to replace the lock system.
1 what should i need to do so IE special tools
2 do i need to pull the wheel off to get to the key system
3 what else ???

thanks for any help

Old 02-17-2013, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

First try the following:

If auto trans make sure trans is in Park.

Could be steering wheel lock is binding. Wiggle steering wheel while gently attempting to turn ign key.

Spray electrical contact cleaner into key hole to clean lock. Once the spray material has evaporated spray in lock lube. Then insert key and run in and out a few times then try to turn key.

In case of stuck lock pin, gently tap front of lock with something hard to attempt to free it then try using key. Also try tapping lock with key inserted and attempting to turn.

Try using other ign keys as the one you use may be worn out. If so the dealer may be able to make a new key from the VIN number. Don't re-copy a worn key or you will just have the same problem.

The tumbler can be be removed from the switch assy. However to do so requires the ign key to be in the ACC position.

No need to remove the steering wheel. Remove the covers on the steering column to access the lock assy. The lock assy should have a hole in the side of the body. Once ign key turned to ACC, insert a probe into the hole and push, then pull the key and lock barrel out of the lock assy. Once out, don' t rotate key in lock barrel or the alignment will be off for reinstalling.

The dealer should be able to get a new key and barrel or try the internet, auto lock smiths shops, etc.

If after all of the above you still can not turn the key, the barrel will need to be drilled out.

The actually lock assy and steering wheel lock is bolted to the steering column with 2-tamper proof bolts. The only way to remove these bolts is to drill the heads off.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:47 PM

it worked the key would not turn at all but i sprayed some cleaner in it and gave it a few taps with a rubber mallet at wallah it works ... it is still a little sticky but atleast it turns and starts (for now) now i can drive it.
so thanks for the help and incite on what to do ...