General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

93 Camry Ignition problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 07:56 AM
Default 93 Camry Ignition problem

I drove my Camry to its parking spot yesterday, today it is DEAD!! This is a 4 cylinder 5S FE 2.2Litre motor. It has a distributor with the coil internal. I have a nice spark at the coil output terminal, sufficient to fire an 18" flouro tube, (sorry, no equipment for a real test) but not enough to get ANY spark at all at the plug end of any of the leads. The rotor is near new and is in perfect condition, as is the cap. The carbon terminals (brushes?) are both in good cond. and touching the rotor and the coil output terminal. The leads are well within specs, (10 to 12K) and 25K is the spec. max. The only thing I can't find a spec. on is the resistance of the internal bridge in the cap that takes the power from the coil o/put to the rotor. It is reading 15K, and I checked the old cap which was still working OK and it reads 25K so the new one is clearly better. I checked all the settings and voltages in the distributor and all is well. The engine cranks over but there is no hint of it firing. I took out a couple of leads and stuck a plug on the end and there is nothing. I also put a small (8") flouro tube in the end of the leads and nothing, yet the coil output terminal will fire an 18" tube. What am I missing here? The spark is getting lost somewhere along the line but where? Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks, Phill.