General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 09-01-2015, 02:54 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Gas Cap Panel Won't Pop Open

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 10:09 AM
Default Gas Cap Panel Won't Pop Open

I just purchased this 1998 Camry LE over the weekend, and finding things wrong with it that I never even thought to check out prior to buying (private party, didn't tell me).

The gas cap panel won't open when I pull the release! The lever just doesn't "engage" anything. I need to get this repaired before I can fill up.

My question is: How big a problem will this be to repair, and approximately how much might it cost to have it fixed? I already know that a dealership will automatically triple that estimate, but would like to have some number in mind for reference.

Thanks, T.K.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

Is the leaf spring in the gas cap lid broken? Can you have someone pull the latch while you open the lid?

If it is the spring this is a common problems and low cost DIY repair, the dealer would have the spring.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:04 PM

Yes I can open the cover if the lever is raised. I used a bicycle rack stretch rope, wrapped the hook around the lever, held the other end while pulling back, reached for the gas cap panel and pulled it open with a thin wire hook.

I guess necessity is the mother of invention, but how would this look if I were on a date with someone and needed to gas up? (lol).

Must fix soon! Thanks for your reply, T.K.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Is the leaf spring in the gas cap lid broken? Can you have someone pull the latch while you open the lid?

If it is the spring this is a common problems and low cost DIY repair, the dealer would have the spring.

Exactly- it just snaps into place near the hinge of the fuel door. Good luck!

JJ