General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TOYOTA LIGHT FAILURE SENSOR BYPASS

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: TOYOTA LIGHT FAILURE SENSOR BYPASS

Check your wiring colors at the sensor and compare.

Green wire-wire from car tail light circuit

Light Green-goes to tail lights

Yellow-wire from Gauge fuse (has 12V power)

Yellow/Green-goes to warning light in dash console (has power from Gauge fuse)

White/Black-ground

Green//White-wire from stop light switch at brake pedal (also goes to high mounted brake light on cars WITHOUT spoiler

Red-goes to high mounted brake light on car WITH spoiler

Green/Red-goes to brake lights

To bypass the sensor

Connect Green wire to Light Green wire

Disconnect and tape off Yellow/Green and Yellow wires (they both have 12V power to them)

Disconnect White/Black wire

Connect Green/White wire to Green/Red and Red wires

Old 11-11-2008, 11:22 PM

Thanks so much.
Will try this in the AM when I get out of work.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:16 AM

No go. Hooked them up like you said and when you turn the tail lights on the brakes lights are on automatically.
Not sure why it would do that, it seems as though the way you said to hook them up should work.

Any other ideas?

Old 11-13-2008, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

Do the following:

Dig into the tail and brake light wiring. Find out what color wiring goes to the tail lights and brake lights. Some of the light bulbs may have dual filiments for brake/tail but the wiring to the each bulb should be a uniform color. Such as Green for tail, Light Green for brake.

Next at the sensor unit use a 12V light bulb or volt meter to determine the following: Which wire(s) at the sensor have 12V when you press on the brake. Which wire(s) have 12V power when you turn on the tail lights. Which wire(s) has 12V power when you turn on the ign switch.

If you have a high mounted brake light if possible determine the color of wire to this bulb.

Post back with your results, color wires, all the wiring colors going to the sensor and if the car has a spoiler with brake light or not.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:29 PM

So when I turn the tail lights on, I have power to the green wire.
Hit the brakes and get power to green/white wire.
So like you said green/white, should go with green/red and red. I'm pretty sure this works fine.
But when I hook the green to the lime green, both filiments light up.

To the lights themselves, for the tail light bulb, only the green/white and ground go to the socket.
For the brake bulb, it's green and green/white.

So my problem is just getting the tail lights to light up when you turn them on, when I do it's like having the brake lights on. Then when you power the brake lights, the lights try to get brighter, but only slightly.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator

Your disconnected all the wires from the sensor unit?

The wire colors I gave you to the sensor unit are the same as the ones your unit has?

The car has a high mounted stop light but it is NOT on a spoiler?

On the off chance check all the dual filiment bulbs. Make sure one of the filiment sides has not broken loose and is contacted the other filiment. This can result in both bulbs working and the sensor light coming on.

Disconnect the all the wires to and from the brake light system. Then test the tail lights, determine if the both lamps still come on.

Old 11-15-2008, 09:28 AM

Your disconnected all the wires from the sensor unit? Yes all of them.

The wire colors I gave you to the sensor unit are the same as the ones your unit has? Yes they are all the same.

The car has a high mounted stop light but it is NOT on a spoiler? Yes a normal 3rd brake, no spoiler.

Well I made a trip to the junk yard picked up 2 sensors. When I hook them up, both trigger the brake lights to be on all the time. At least the 3rd brake light. When I hit the brakes, from what I can see they do get brighter, but the 3rd brake is on constantly.

I'll start to test the lights at the sockets pretty soon, just wondering if you could think of anything, with these other sensors doing the same thing. The wattages are differnent between the 2 sensors, but thats all.

Old 11-15-2008, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

You may have some wiring issues beyond the sensor.

Send a private message with email address and will reply with a wiring diagram on Monday.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

Sent the email with info.

You must have a wiring issue after the sensor. A socket, wiring or bulb issue.

Old 04-16-2019, 06:42 AM
Default Toyota Light failure Bypass

After locating the bypass Sensor in the trunk on driver's side, (unless you plan on replacing the sensor in the future) cut the green/light green wires and join them together. This will be your Running Lights. Then cut the green with red /green with white wires and join them together. This will be your Brake Lights. You will find that because your trunk is open that your All your Lights will come on. But once you close the trunk, the lights will return to Normal. Completely Disregard the Yellow wire. This is for the sensor light on the dash. Trust me, I was confused by this for over 3 hours of trial and error. And only by giving up and closing the trunk did I Finally learn the Truth.