General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 08-26-2015, 11:17 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Transmission Temperature on OBDII Port?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 10:51 AM

If you ever get back to the tranny cooler idea, look into the towing package specs on your year model. Often the factory uses a radiator with a larger tranny fluid radiator when they install this package.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:12 AM

Good idea! It never occurred to me that a Camry had a towing package option. I have a 2010 Explorer with the towing package. On that car the towing package includes a larger radiator, an oil cooler and an aux transmission cooler. I've been comparing the transmission temps with the Camry's under similar driving conditions. The Explorer runs about 20-25 deg F cooler then the Camry! Under normal driving conditions it runs 165-175degF. The manual says to change the Transmission fluid at 150kmi. This is one case where the manual might be accurate! If Ford designed the rest of this car like the tow pkg cooling system (they didn't) it would last a real long time!!

Old 03-24-2018, 12:56 PM

Did you change the ATF? I recently change mine and the temperature was 190F (from techstream) after 30mins ride. Is this normal?

Old 03-24-2018, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by susi11454
Did you change the ATF? I recently change mine and the temperature was 190F (from techstream) after 30mins ride. Is this normal?
I think it is normal. I routinely measure 190F and higher in my 2014 Camry. I get those temps when driving rather easy after things have warmed up and if i remember correctly 30 minutes would get it there. This is why I'd like to install a transmission fluid cooler... someday.

Old 03-25-2018, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by tweakit
I think it is normal. I routinely measure 190F and higher in my 2014 Camry. I get those temps when driving rather easy after things have warmed up and if i remember correctly 30 minutes would get it there. This is why I'd like to install a transmission fluid cooler... someday.
Yeah I found the same information on some other places and it's safe as long as it doesn't go over 200 F.

Old 03-25-2018, 02:51 PM

It goes over 200 degF. I can’t remember the exact conditions required to break 200 degF but its within ‘normal driving conditions.’ You may have to keep it running for more than 30 mins and it may not stay above 200 for these normal conditions. Sustained driving with climbing and higher ambient temperatures (not every day conditions) will result in temps well above 200 deg F. Even sustained freeway driving on level ground and higher ambient temperatures will keep it above 200degF. I’m not certain for the latter case if higher ambient temps are even necessary to result in pan temps above 200degF. I doubt it though. See posts 5 and 13 in this thread for some details on this. What it all means for your transmission life is a little hard for me to predict. Others may know more about that. Some have suggested that changing the fluid every 50K miles is a good idea. It used to be thought that 170degF, plus or minus was healthy but that might be based on older designs and older fluids. Things change and cars run hotter now. I was once told by the owner of a transmission repair shop that if all cars came equipped with an auxiliary transmission cooler, that the transmission repair shops would be out of business!

Last edited by tweakit; 03-25-2018 at 02:53 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-25-2018, 07:20 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tweakit
It goes over 200 degF. I can’t remember the exact conditions required to break 200 degF but its within ‘normal driving conditions.’ You may have to keep it running for more than 30 mins and it may not stay above 200 for these normal conditions. Sustained driving with climbing and higher ambient temperatures (not every day conditions) will result in temps well above 200 deg F. Even sustained freeway driving on level ground and higher ambient temperatures will keep it above 200degF. I’m not certain for the latter case if higher ambient temps are even necessary to result in pan temps above 200degF. I doubt it though. See posts 5 and 13 in this thread for some details on this. What it all means for your transmission life is a little hard for me to predict. Others may know more about that. Some have suggested that changing the fluid every 50K miles is a good idea. It used to be thought that 170degF, plus or minus was healthy but that might be based on older designs and older fluids. Things change and cars run hotter now. I was once told by the owner of a transmission repair shop that if all cars came equipped with an auxiliary transmission cooler, that the transmission repair shops would be out of business!
Thank you for the further clarification. I guess I don't have to worry about the temperature anymore.