Appearance Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

$50 paintjob 5th and 6th coat (much better)

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 08:55 PM
Default $50 paintjob 5th and 6th coat (much better)

Sorry I've been away for about 1.5 weeks. I had lots of school/homework to finnish. On top of that I joined the FSAE team at Washington State University which will be buildinng a superlight race car with a bike engine, and it's kept me hella busy, even during the weekends. But last weekend and today I finnaly got some time to work on the paintjob.After I effed up the 4th coat (look a few threads back) I sanded it down and applied the 5th. It looked much better this time.Then I sanded down the 5th coat absolutely smooth with 800grit. It was so smooth you could actualy see a mirror like reflection at an angle, no joke. And afterwards I applied the 6th coat, which came down with almost no orange peel. While applying the 6th coat I realized that the duller the color looks when you apply it, the better it looks after a couple of minutes. I did run into some little problems though. I forgot to roll the roller over the bubbles and by the time I lealized this they were pretty dry. They should disapear after I sand down the 6th and final coat and buff....finaly.Here are some pics that I took:

This is after the 5th coat. Only took one pic, don't know why.

Some reflections after 6th coat. It's not as blury as you think.

6th coat from the front. Its a bit dark but you can still see it.

So there it is for now. I'll let it cure tonight and tomorow I'llwetsand itwith 2000grit and buff it with polishing compound.

Viktor