Appearance Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

the $50 paintjob continued

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 06:12 PM
Default the $50 paintjob continued

I switched to another thread because I realized I made the pics redicilously big and some of you might have had problems opening up the page. Nevertheless, I applied the 4th coat of paint today and looks as if I had gone back to 2nd coat. Even though I got full coverage this time, I had LESS shine and MORE orange peel, which sucks.

Here are the pics that I took right after the 4th coat was applied:

Wetsanding should take care of most of the major orange peel. I plan to stop after the 5th coat since I have bad experience now with applying 2 coats without wetsanding between them but I'm not entirely sure yet. If I stop at 5th coat I'll wetsand it lightly with 2000grit and polish it with a buffer and polishing compound. If it looks good I'll start on the rest of the car this weekend.

Viktor

Old 09-03-2007, 03:48 AM
Default RE: the $50 paintjob continued

Sorry I haven't updated yet this weekend. I had lots of homework and partying afterwards[sm=alcoholic.gif] so I never realy got around to posting pics. I did however wetsand teh 4th and applied the 5th coat. I looks realy good now. Just to see how it turns out I wetsanded with 2000grit a very small area and then buffed it but I went through the paint so I will apply a 6th coat tomorow after I LIGHTLY wetsand the 5th with 800 but possibly 1000-1500grit. I'll update tomorow.

peace

Old 09-05-2007, 04:15 AM
Default RE: the $50 paintjob continued

sorry haven't updated yet. This weekend was hella busy and this week I have a ton of homework (seems like that's my excuse always). Nevertheless, I still haven't applied the 6th coat, nor I have wetsanded the 5th. There are some news though. There was a massive effin storm and all the power went out for 2 hours and there was hail and all of that...and the paint was held up just fine[sm=bling.gif].
I'll probably wetsand and do the 6th coat tomorow so stick around.

peace