Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

2012 Stereo Issue and Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 10:37 PM
Default 2012 Stereo Issue and Questions

I have a 2012 SE with Navigation, the non JBL radio.

All of a sudden the stereo went blank. The screen is on, it has that "black glow" of a screen that is on with nothing to display. Everything works. Meaning I can hear everything, and with the wheel controls, I can control the radio. I can even push the screen where the buttons would be and I can navigate through. The only thing is, teh screen is blank.

The Backup camera turns on, and when I change the volume the screen where the pop up happens for the volume numbers work.

So I know the screen works. I just have no clue what is going on.

The dealership did not even look at it, but over the phone said I need a new radio.

Anyone ever see this issue?

I would like to be able to fix it if its fixable. If not, I am not paying the crazy price for the same radio, and I will just replace it with an aftermarket one.

If I replace with aftermarket, what features do i loose? Do I loose navigation? Do I loose controls? etc.

Thank you!

Old 05-25-2019, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

Can try rebooting the system, upgrading the system software, etc.

However typically the unit is bad (a common issue).

There are aftermarket services that might repair the unit but know nothing about them.

https://hitechserv.com/electronics-r...ger-repair/85/

If needing to replace the unit suggest an aftermarket model. These units can connect to the Toyota controls, have navigation, etc. Shop around.

Ebay has lots of units, try Crutchfield.