Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Battery life

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 11:56 AM
Default Battery life

I have an '04 LE with the original battery which still works just fine. However at 5 years of age I'm beginning to wonder how long these things are lasting among other owners. I'm getting increased corrosion on the Pos. terminal lately.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

Most people state 5 years however the current battery has lasted 7. It is an Exide brand.

Guessing a lot depends on how good the charging system is, not over or undercharging.

How hot the battery gets, battery loading-some owners have high amp stereo systems that make the battery work harder when engine is at idle, etc.

On occasion it possible to get a feel of the battery dieing such as a now slower cranking speed at colder temps. But in many cases the first indication of a problem is a dead battery.

Suggest if you don't belong to an autoclub to carry jumper cables if an automatic trans and can not push the car to start the engine.

When buying a new battery if possible suggest you install the largest battery that can fit. In some cases the auto manufacturer uses a smaller battery to save weight and cost but the size can be increased and still fit.

To clean the battery terminals typically a baking soda paste is applied then flushed off with water. Once clean reintall and apply petroleum jelly to prevent further corrosion.

But check first the battery case first for signs of cracking. Check the area around the Pos terminal where it goes into the case. It is possible a very small crack has formed allowing the release of acid fumes.

If so, patch the crack up with an asphalt sealant or replace the battery. Be carefull using the baking soda as you don't want to get it into the battery case.