Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

TOYOTA'S 'SUPER DUPER' LONG LIFE FLUIDS!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 11:36 AM
Default TOYOTA'S 'SUPER DUPER' LONG LIFE FLUIDS!!

Toyota only recommends I replace my 2007 Camty LE 4 cyl transmission fluid at approx 100,000 miles if only driven under severe conditions because of their "SUPER DUPER Type WS" transmission fluid. I plan on replacing mine at 50,000 miles.

I just want to know what you guys think abt toyota's new fluids and what is a resonable time to 'drain and fill' or 'flush' and at what mileage??

I plan to keep the car till its very very very old so I have halved(compared to toyota recommendation)the replacement time for the radiatorcoolant andtransmission fluid. I use only Full-synthetic(royal purple,valvoline or mobil 1)oil and replace at 5k miles with genuine toyota oil filters. I use gumout regane or shell fuel system cleaner every 15k miles.

This is my plan to make sure I am the FIRST and the LAST owner ofmy 2007 4cyl LEtoyota camry.

All opinions wellcome!

Old 05-07-2008, 01:57 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: TOYOTA'S 'SUPER DUPER' LONG LIFE FLUIDS!!

The trans and fluid are designed to work together. The fluid design is more then just Toyota attempting to lock-in customers to their brand of fluid. The trans design is more sophisticated then older models and sensitive to both fluid type and quantity.

The trans fluid condition is based on color and compared to a chart. The colors range from red to black.

Would suggest if replacing the fluid to use the WS type and read up on the fluid change proceedures for this model. These may be very differant then the older trans.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:44 AM

I might be a crazy one, but I change the transmission fluid every 2 years /24,000 . And just like all other manuafactuers with these unreal service intervals, I'm just not buying into it . I think BMW now has 15k oil change intervals..lol wtf ?¿ . Maybe do in the middle , go 3 years / 36k miles. But, I feel even 50k is a bit too long .imho

Old 05-09-2008, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

You can change the fluid more often if desired although it really appears to be a longer life fluid. How long, watch for the fluid color changes.

Even though the Toyota fluid is much more expensive suggest sticking with it until more info comes back on alternative fluids. The WS fluid and trans are designed to work together.

Changing the fluid requires a drain and refill via a side fill port much like the diff in older cars. The excess fluid runs out. But before this is done, the new fluid must be heated by the trans to within a temp range as indicated by the trans temp sensor circuit. Once the temp is reached the excess fluid is allowed to drain.

Failure to follow the established proceedure may result in trans shifting issues, the kind many owners are complaining about today.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:13 AM

My 07 camry 4cyl has a transmission dip stick.... I can fill via this right?

I am currently at 33k. Perhaps a 40k I wil do a drain and fill.