Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Just an idea

Old 06-01-2008, 10:25 PM
Default Just an idea

My friend (01(maybe) civic) and i (94 camry le) have been toying with this idea, so i must ask. In the 94 le, what is under the rear seats? We were talking about putting subs under th back seats and then (at least in mine since the back seats fold down) adding the speakers/amps in some kind of removable box (i'm still working on the design) right behind the seats facing forward, so that i have the seats when i want them, the trunk into the back when i want that, or theback seats folded down so that i have the speakers exposed.

so whats under those seats? also, is there a website that will show me how to set everything up? i've never put in a sound system, and while i understand how amps and all that jazz work, im not sure what i'll need or how to hook it all up. If it makes a difference, i plan on putting in a custom deck too (any suggestions? i need something i can hook my iPod up to) cuz the tape deck just aint cutting it.

Last question. Has anyone else had problems with the retractable anttanae? mine goes about half way up and then sticks. Then, when i turn off the car, it goes back down, but the motor keeps running for about5 seconds. I should fix that soon cuz my FM reception is horrible and my AM is non-existent.

Thanks

Old 06-03-2008, 11:29 AM
Default RE: Just an idea

First off, under the seat is all sheetmetal. I had the interior all torn apart when I ran my amp line and rca cable amd remote amp line. I'll have pics up soon as Im pulling that all out again today. (a system's work is never done XD)

Running a new audio system is really easy, as far as the head unit goes, I alreaady have a tutorial in mind for you:
http://rayrayonline.bravehost.com/headunit.htm

I've used this guy's DIY tutorials a few times, feel free to look at the others. As far as the subs, you cant really hook them up under the seats, but what I did was buy a simple ebay box and face the subs into the cabin like you wanna do. However, I heard it sounds better facing the other way, and even I believe it does after trying it. If you run the wires properly, you can even set up your box to be hot-swapable. Just drop it into any car with the necessary hook-ups.

And for the antenna: I'd say just replace it. the reason it's doin that is the motor that pushes the antenna mast up is dying. In attempt to fix mine, my father-in-law rendered the entire thing useless and it wont even fit ito the hole anymore, so now my antenna location is coverd with duct tape [>:]PM if you have any questions I can explain more in detail on the subs and amps wiring if youd like.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Just an idea

Might be the antenna mast, it is driven by a plastic "fishing" line with teeth in it. Replacements are available for under $20.