Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Poor Radio Reception in '05 Camry

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 08:01 AM
Default Poor Radio Reception in '05 Camry

I have an '05 Camry XLE with the in-dash AM/FM CD Nav system. Today was the coldest day we have had (~42 degrees) this fall. When I turned on the radio this morning I got nothing but static. I tried to change stations using the touch panel, the steering control as well as manual tuning dial and I still got static.

I've experienced this last year on really cold days and once the car warms up a bit, I get my reception back. Today that wasn't the case...I drove to work ~40 minutes and most of them were filled with static and some breakthrough talking (not of the station I was tuned into though). The last couple of minutes I did get a station that said it was 98.3 but I was tuned into 95.5. No matter which station I dialed in I still received the 98.3 station.

It seems like the antenna or something in the radio was stuck or frozen. I drove the entire time with the heat blaring on feet/defrost and rear defroster on thinking it might warm something up but that didn't work.

Anyone else have this problem or know what I might do to fix it? I can't make my commute to and from work every day with no radio...I'll go nuts...especially with the traffic I sit in.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:16 AM
Default Has Anyone had this Problem???

I posted the above problem with radio reception and can't believe I am the only one out there with this problem. If you have had the same issue or have a solution, please reply.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

Have tried posting at the Toyotanation website?

See link:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=277541

Old 01-10-2011, 05:35 PM
Default coops, you are not alone, same problem here

We have had the exact same problem on my wife's XLE 2004 with Nav.

She's been complaining about it for almost a year and I have not been able to reproduce until recently when I realized it was caused by cold weather.

Sometimes it can be "fixed" by turning the radio on and off but a lot of times it just stays on static and not changing any stations in either seek or pre-set mode.

Now for some more interesting twists: When I realized how to recreate this problem I took it to Capitol Toyota in San Jose with about 10 days left on the "Toyota Extended Care" (TEC) warranty that I had on this car.

The dealer of course first said they can't recreate the problem even though I told them to try it in the early AM when it's cold out. The next day they said they did recreate it and are replacing the entire back window that has the built-in antenna. That cost over $800 which TEC paid for. (The dealer also broke the molding around the window which TEC refused to pay for and the dealer had me pay $110 for it, but that is a different story)

The replaced antenna did NOT fix the problem and with 2 days left in the TEC, I had the car back in the dealer shop. And now the real monkey business started between the dealer shop and the TEC: The dealer claimed that it worked "better" but still something is wrong and they suspect they needed an entire new radio/nav combo!! ($3,500.00 repair!!!). For this type of repair, TEC would need to send out an adjustment inspector to the dealer to verify the problem!! So without me knowing it the service adviser at the dealer changed the work order and put something like "eject CD is not working". The TEC inspector came in and lo and behold the CD worked fine (of course it did, it was never broken!) and the TEC inspector rejects the claim!

I have this horror documented and am now in the middle of haggling with the dealer shop to have Toyota corporate to solve this issue. I will post here when I get any additional information.