Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

SIRIUS radio install in 07 Camry?

Old 12-26-2007, 03:30 PM
Default SIRIUS radio install in 07 Camry?

My wife got us both SIRIUS radio for Christmas and this is her idea for installing it in the cubby w/ the door in front of the cup holders - She'd like it mounted at an angle on maybe MDF that can side out on a track - it could either be two pieces at a 90 degree angle or a box, but the purpose would be to slide back to close the door, and slide forward when in use in order to see the screen & controls.

We were also thinking of putting a splitter for the AUX input and mounting a plug on the front of the MDF piece above, next to or below the SIRIUS unit so she could also plug in her mp3 player. Would that cause any problems?

Anyone have any suggestions on making this work? I don't want to be accused of putting more work into my car than hers & the Camry is her daily driver

Old 12-27-2007, 06:43 PM
Default RE: SIRIUS radio install in 07 Camry?

Not too sure what you are referring to when you say MDF. Mounting it shouldn't be a problem in that cubby hole below the HVAC controls, it just depends on how fancy you want it to be. I would recommend talking to some car audio shops and seeing what they think as a lot of them thrive on custom stuff like this. Your name makes me think you in Sacramento, CA. If this is the case I'm sure you can find plenty of car shops to talk to. My favorite place to go which is in Santa Rosa, about 90 minutes from Sac, is Kustom Kar Audio. They do amazing work and I've been going there and referring friends and family for years with not one problem yet. They have a website, too, Kustomkaraudioinc.com. They specialize in fabricating custom work.

Good luck.

S

Old 12-30-2007, 10:47 PM

When I posted w/ our idea, I hadn't looked at how the wires connect to the back, so I saw how it wouldn't be possible to mount the back to anything other than the suction cup arm or air vent clip... It would have to be held at the bottom by velcro or double sided tape, but there would be no support from behind to hold up against pushing the buttons... So that idea was out...

I installed it today - removed the suction cup, screwed the arm into the cubby in front of the arm rest and have it mounted horizontally overlapping the edge of the cubby just before the shifter. It can flip back toward the armrest to sort of hide it. It's not perfect, but it works

Old 01-10-2008, 05:10 PM

Sounds good! Got any pics of the final outcome?

Seth

Old 01-11-2008, 10:53 AM

They're crappy cell phone pics... camera was left at my wife's work that day.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:04 PM

Looks good! Pretty easily accessible it appears! Nicely done and thanks for the pics!

Seth

Old 02-01-2008, 09:53 PM

Oh wow, I have never gotten anything like sirius radio. Maybe no one cares, but I would love to get this for my Camry. Right now its just not in the budget. Hope yo dont mind I am going to take a shot of this image so i can give the guy that will set this up for me later an idea.

Old 02-02-2008, 09:09 PM

Just FYI you can also get after market decks that are satellite radio ready.