ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

Sirius Antenna for 07 Camry

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 07:05 PM
Default Sirius Antenna for 07 Camry

I bought an 07 Camry Hybrid and they had to install the Sirius option since it wasn't on the car that was on the lot. I distinctly asked the salesman and the parts guy where the antenna would be mounted. They assured me that it mounted externally, on the trunk. When I picked up my car today, sure enough, they mounted the satellite antenna inside, on the front windshield behind the rear view mirror. I told them that the 07 Prius that my wife drove had an internal antenna and that the reception sucked (still working with Toyota to get that one fixed). Well I was assured that I would have no problem, so I took the car. Within 10 minutes the satellite radio started randomly dropping signal and re-aquiring. It makes it impossible to listen to. The dealer says they will research an external antenna. Believe me, they WILL get this right.

My question is this...........does anyone else have the 07 Camry with Sirius? Where is your antenna mounted and how is your reception?

Old 08-20-2007, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Sirius Antenna for 07 Camry

dont the factory ones have something on the rear roof?
i guess the dealer ones are different...and yeah inside wouldnt be as good. you'd be better off having it on the inside but on the rear deck because of more surface area exposure.

my aftermarket unit i mounted on my roof and i sometimes even get reception when im inside my garage or inside some buildings (not sure how that can be...but it works!)

Old 08-20-2007, 10:23 PM

I don't know the reason but for 07 Camry all the sat radio are mounted inside, some inside front window while others are on the rear deck. I have seen from the factory (ppo) and installed at the dealership.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 08-30-2007, 10:36 AM

Just to follow up on this issue.......

The dealer said that my poor reception was due to the fact that they mounted the antenna on the tint (tint has metal oxides interfering with the signal). My car has a 4" strip of tint on the windshield.

The dealer removed the antenna, removed the tint, re-installed the antenna on the inside of the front windshield, just a little to the right of the black dot stuff and then re-tinted. The result is much better reception. It's still not as good as my old 2006F-150 or my wife's old 2005 Honda Accord that both had outside antennas, but I think it may suffice.

I like the fact that its inside instead of outside. Now car washes, etc cannot affect it. I'm sure the reception would be even better if I had it mounted outside on the trunk deck or the rear of the roof, but I think this may work okay.

We're still having a fit with my wife's XM in her Prius though. Dealer has even offered to remove the satellite receiver and give us our money back.