Detailing Discuss detailing your Camry within.

Water spots resistant to wet-sanding!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 12:50 PM
Default Water spots resistant to wet-sanding!

Hi there. Just my first post and already I'm asking for help! I have a 2010 Camry with beautiful Spruce Mica paint. Love the paint job and get compliments on it all the time. Only problem, I've got some heavy-duty water spots on my hood. Happened after I took it to the dealer to get detailed, had a day afterwards where the car was out in the sun, and BOOM! Permanent water spots on the hood. Washing didn't take them out.

So I take it to the dealer, and this great guy in the detail shop wet-sanded and buffed my hood for free, and it took out the spots. (I don't remember the grit he used, I think it was 3000).

The next wash I gave it (I wash and dry properly), I put on a coat of 3M showroom paste wax that the guy kindly gave me. It was what he had previously used on my car, I believe. This is the type of wax that causes water to bead, which I later find out contributes to water spots. I notice regular water spots forming very easily on my hood now, and I remove them as soon as I get a chance.

Only problem is, the old ones, the ones the guy removed for me? They're baaaack. They're not super-ugly, and I can live with it for a little, but when the sun gleams off of the hood you can really see 'em, and it kinda takes away from the "like new" look when I wash it.

I really wanna get rid of these damn things, and I'm ready to put some polishing compound or something on it. But if it's already been wet sanded, I doubt this will do the trick. Plus, I don't want to weaken the clearcoat on my hood too much (am I even close to doing that?) What's my next step?

Last edited by JayBee; 11-11-2009 at 01:03 PM.