DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

1994 Camry dies after getting off highways only

Old 01-24-2011, 06:41 PM
Default 1994 Camry dies after getting off highways only

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forums, so forgive me if I posted on the wrong section or what not. Here is my issue, I have a 94 camry that I bought about one month ago. Changed a lot of parts, new ECM, new thermostat, new valve cover, new EGR solenoid, cleaned the EGR valve in and out. The car drives like a charm in the city/streets, everything works perfectly. But as soon as I go on the highway for about 10-15mns and get off of it, the car would start shaking a bit and the engine loses power, everything just shuts off completely. I have to let it cool off for about 10-15 and it drives fine again.

I'm suspecting a vaccum leak, or the catalyst converter. I changed the thermostat since the temperature gauge was staying at cold. This problem seems to be very common in camry's 92-96.

If anyone has a helpful input, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:13 AM
Red face Re:

I guess it has got something to do with faulty connections... usually vacuum leaks won't cause such probs, but yeah if your catalytic converter goes bad, then you may heating issues too!

Originally Posted by techniec View Post
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forums, so forgive me if I posted on the wrong section or what not. Here is my issue, I have a 94 camry that I bought about one month ago. Changed a lot of parts, new ECM, new thermostat, new valve cover, new EGR solenoid, cleaned the EGR valve in and out. The car drives like a charm in the city/streets, everything works perfectly. But as soon as I go on the highway for about 10-15mns and get off of it, the car would start shaking a bit and the engine loses power, everything just shuts off completely. I have to let it cool off for about 10-15 and it drives fine again.

I'm suspecting a vaccum leak, or the catalyst converter. I changed the thermostat since the temperature gauge was staying at cold. This problem seems to be very common in camry's 92-96.

If anyone has a helpful input, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:00 AM

Yeah, that is a possibility as well. Because when I was testing it yesterday since I fixed the thermostat, and when I got off the freeway, some wires was burning, I noticed a burnt smell coming from some wires and some smoke.