General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dies out at high RPM only but drive all day at 65mph

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 08:49 PM
Default dies out at high RPM only but drive all day at 65mph

Ok...so I got this 92 Camry with the 2.2L auto.

I off the bat had to change the coil for out of the blue just started giving me issues. Anyways I drove the car for about 2 weeks after that and one day I went to pass a car and stuck it to the floor. When it got to about 4k rpms it started cutting in and out so I let off a little and it came outta it.

So since then I have played with it.

If I hold it to the floor is goes then doesn't then goes and then doesn't. It's never the same rpm but it is definably 3500 rpm and higher when it does it and I have only noticed it when the peddle is to the floor.

Now it doesn't do it all the time. There is days I drive the car all day and it never does it and others it does it left and right.

Ok the car has 205,000 miles and the best way I can explain what it's doing is like this

Your driving and you shut off the ignition and then turn it back on. There is no sputter or anything it's either there or not.

So I've thought maybe the crank sensor not telling the injectors to fire? or cam sensor not telling it to spark?

To me it doesn't seem like it's a spark issue cause when it kicks back in it jerks ya with the power so it don't act like I'm pouring fuel in and then adding spark. It acts as if all of a sudden you put it to the floor.

Anyone have had this problem or what not?

It's still driveable and not giving me issues so I'm not going to start throwing parts on it. But if we all seem to agree on something or someone says they have had this issue then I'm sure to fix it now. I just figure it's only a matter of time before this issue becomes a bigger issue and really shows it's self.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:20 AM

thats weird!I haven't been into that... can't figure out what causes it.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by full house
thats weird!I haven't been into that... can't figure out what causes it.

it has nothing to do with the weather. has only happened when it is hot and dry so not a moisture issue.

Only thing I can come up with is the crank sensor is magnetic so if it has collected metal pieces over a period of time and causing a bad reading when the oil starts moving really good.