DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

2000 Camry 4cyl - Sudden rattle sound, liquid dump (likely coolant), no power in gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2020, 06:27 AM
Default 2000 Camry 4cyl - Sudden rattle sound, liquid dump (likely coolant), no power in gear

My daughter's 2000 Toyota Camry (LE - L4 - 2.2L 2164cc GAS MFI type 5S-FE - 4 valve DOHC) had a sudden problem a few days ago.

She parked the car and heard a rattle sound (https://www.dropbox.com/s/quwq0qlen6..._4702.MOV?dl=0), then stopped the engine and called me for rescue.

The car dumped out a ton of liquid under the passenger side, near the front wheel. I believe it was coolant, because the car is still filled with oil (on the dipstick).

I suspected the water pump had failed, and we had the car towed home.

When I went to move the car into the driveway, I ran the motor and put it into Drive, and the car had no power and would stall almost immediately. It will not move in gear without stalling.

Aside from the grind/rattle sound, the motor seems to be fine and is running ok. I've not let it run more than a minute or two to be on the safe side.

Anyone have any tips on why the power loss? To me, if it has a failed water pump, I don't see why we'd lose all power under load. Stumped here and don't want to start tearing into this if I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Thanks for any help…

Old 08-31-2020, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

Start by determining what the fluid is.

What does the liquid feel and look like?

Coolant is basically water with additives which make if feel slightly slick.

Take a sample of trans and engine oil from their dipsticks and compare to the liquid. Trans fluid in this car is also typically the same at the power steering fluid and red in color when new.

This trans has a separate differential housing having its own fluid camber. The fluid is added/checked via a fill port on the back of the housing. The differential is where the two axles go into the trans. It has happened the differential fails. The differential uses the same fluid as the trans and PS.

Check trans fluid level via the dipstick. With engine off its typically high above the filled mark on the stick. Check for coolant in the radiator.

Look around the trans area where the axles go into the housing for differential fluid leaks and damage.

Check under the car where the engine bolts to the trans for leaking trans fluid out of the bottom of the trans bell housing where it bolts to the engine.

When you determine what type of fluid it is post back.