DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

2009 Camry U250E transmission fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2020, 09:43 PM
Default 2009 Camry U250E transmission fluid change

Hi,

I am planning to do the transmission fluid change either drain & refill or full flush via return line. Leaning more to full flush.
current mileage is 90K, 2.4L U250E 2AZ-FE. checked fluid color is dark pink or red

1. Which one is the return line? is that the one closer toward the driver side or passenger side. Through some research and YouTube video, it should be the one closer to the driver side but don't want to make a mess for disconnecting the wrong one. Can someone please confirm?

2. Assuming after I disconnect the correct return line, will the old fluid come out from the hose or metal nipple when I start the engine? again I see both from Youtube video, some said connect the clear PVC tube to the metal nipple, the other said to the rubber hose, so which version is true for my camry?

Thanks in advance
Michael

Old 09-13-2020, 11:39 PM
Super Moderator

For return line. Not sure. Remove the line and try to blow air into trans fitting with a hose. If the correct fitting the air will go into the pan which you can hear.

Metal nipple on transmission housing? If so this must be the output fitting not return fitting. Disconnect the hose at the return fitting and route it into a container.

Mark container to estimate fluid quantity removed and refill with same amount. Repeat until fluid is same color as new.

Don't to try to max out the amount of fluid removed in each purge as you don't want to run out of fluid.

A 6 quart trans may take 10 quarts to flush out all the old fluid.

Old 09-14-2020, 08:43 AM

Thanks Joey,

I plan to do drain & fill (3.7 qt per manual), and pump out via return line 2 qt at a time, fill 2 qt.

Another thing is with my current mileage 90K and the old fluid colored dark pink, a full flush shouldn't ruin the transmission, right? I am the first owner and the fluid never been changed and I don't have any transmission shift issues. Heard cars with high mileage are only recommended to do drain & fill or it will cause more problem to the transmission. What is your opinion on this?

Can someone with the same model please comment about which side is return line??

Thanks
Michael

Old 09-14-2020, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

The car is not high mileage.

Dark pink is sill OK, black is not.

This is not a power flush with a machine. The trans oil pump is being used to gently move the old fluid out ad not a machine forcing it out. No chemical cleaners are being used!

Your just changing all of the fluid at once using the most benign process possible.

Try Toyotanation.com, Camry section for search on the return line.

Old 10-06-2020, 11:18 AM

Hi Joey,

I managed to get an answer from Toyota Nation about which side is the return line. All evidences so far indicating the driver side, I guess I know for sure when I do the job next week.

Another concern come up, when flushing through return line; would 2 qt at a time cause the transmission pump run dry?? I could do 1 qt at a time but it would be a hassle to start and stop the engine. Your advice is very much appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

Old 10-06-2020, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

Figure what comes out of the pan when draining it (to start with fresh fluid), less an insurance factor It comes out of the line slowly, you will have time to turn the engine off if doing it solo..