DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

89 camry sv21 5 speed manual trouble selecting 3rd gear

Old 10-19-2013, 09:57 PM
Default 89 camry sv21 5 speed manual trouble selecting 3rd gear

hi all,

am new to this site so not sure if im posting in the correct spot but here goes.
i am having trouble selecting 3rd gear in my 5 speed manual gear box in my sv21 89 camry after trying to teach a learner driver how to change from second gear to third and they didn't back of the accelerator while doing so. all other gears are fine. now as i move the lever up to third then release the clutch it jumps back out of gear some of the time, it seems to stay engaged if i force the gear lever up hard into position before releasing clutch or hold the lever in position while releasing clutch but if i just place it into gear normally it jumps back out. can anyone help me with this problem?

thanks.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:32 PM

Hi H.cardle4,

This is actually the DIY section, usually reserved for guides etc.

I have the same car with the same transmission.

I think that is damaged sychro's, and/or selectors. I think it may just be the sychros thought

I did a quick google for you https://www.google.com.au/#q=Gear+le...+of+gear+Camry+

And found this Automotive Questions and Answers - It talks of the same problem in fifth.

The gear box you have in your car is the s53, a very common box, shared between Celica's, Camry's and the humble MR2. Easisest option will be to get one from the wreckers and throw it in. Cheapest may be to pull the box out and change the syschros your self if your mech inclined.

I reccomend plan A. Also reccomend changing to full synthetic trans oil. Really helps the trans shift easier.

All the best with sorting your problem out,

Kind regards,

Rhyno

Old 10-21-2013, 02:11 AM

Hi Rhyno,

thanks heaps. not the news i wanted of course but will save me a lot of stuffing around. very helpfull news.

Hugh

Old 10-21-2013, 10:37 PM

Your welcome H.cardle4,

All the best with getting your baby back on the road